• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Crack happy

20 posts in this topic

Sometimes I simply can't stand a coin in a slab. Well, most of the time I feel that way. Slabs are great for handling a coin, especially with fumble-fingers, but there's still nothin' like releasing! a coin from its plastic hermetically sealed tomb! smile.gif

So I got to crackin...

I bought a 1941-S Walking Lib half, graded MS64 by NGC, at the local coin shop, along with a couple of raw walkers (also MS64) and stuck 'em in an Intercept Shield album! They look great.

I cracked my solely slabbed Winged Lib dime (MS66FB, PCGS) out of its miserable tomb and stuck it in my ever-bourgeoning Winged Lib album (now two mint state coins!).

I cracked an MS66FS Jeff nickel from its ANACS tomb and I'm sending it to be attributed by Brian Ribar as a new doubled die variety. blush.gif I admit, when that one is done, I'll have it entombed again by PCGS, as it's a nice full step nickel, but only after a visit to NCS to get some crud off the surface.

I cracked a couple of state quarters that did not make the PF69UCAM cut and crammed them in my album (now complete to date). Indeed, I have several albums full of coins either cracked from slabs or out of the crappy Mint packages.

I've been crackin' PCGS and ANACS coins like mad lately for re-submission to PCGS. I hate entombing them again, but they'll go in my registry sets.

Cracks me up. tongue.gif Hoot

I'm in hot pursuit of a 47-D Walker...NGC 64...which if I get will probably get cracked and put in my Dansco short set album as an upgrade....

What's your preferred cracking method ??? My buddy has a bench vise...

I simply use a pair of pliers and a flathead screwdriver. laugh.gif I snap off a corner at the top end of the slab, then wedge the plastic open to release the coin! No serious accidents to date for me, but I've heard of some who have nearly taken out eyes and hacked up fingers! shocked.gif Nothing like the sound and smell of cracking plastic in pursuit of a favorite coin...

There must be others who do this?

tongue.gif Hoot

I crack all sorts of circulated stuff for my albums. Not many mint state pieces. Every now and then.

I'm not sure if i could get myself to crack many 41-s Walkers though! smile.gif

I've got a scar on the right side of my face just below the eye from a little mishap.

Way to go Joe! laugh.giflaugh.giflaugh.gif The stuff of MEN!!! I'll bet it felt GREAT to get that coin out!

Hoot

My preferred method for cracking slabs is to rub meat grease/flavoring on the plastic and then give it to my dog. After a while, she'll have done enough that I can easily do the rest...

wink.gif

EVP

I have had tiny plastic pieces fly everywhere. I also have cut my hand on a old PCI green label. I have found that I would rather let the grading service crack the coins out...

TDN,

Your method doesn't work with all slabs. ICG, SEGS and the current NGC slabs are best cracked with a hammer blow along the edge.

With PCGS, ANACS and older NGC slabs, they differ on which side to apply the tile nipper.

EVP

Most ANACS slabs can be opened with a rubber mallet and a hard surface.

Take the slab and hammer the edge of the slab two or three times, and it will crack. Repeat for the other three edges and the two halves will easily come apart with no splintering or other danger.

If you were to drop one of these hard enough, you could probably start the process without a hammer. Easiest slab to crack, in my book.

Just cracked one yesterday! A nice 1913 T1 buffalo nickel (ngc ms/65) that I took in a trade, that had some grayish "stuff" in the right obv. field. Figured acetone would do the trick........NOT! Had to dip the poor thing. Will go back to NGC on my next submission.

I'm too chicken to dip many coins these days. I still do upon occasion, but with NCS hanging around, I simply prefer if they do it. Besides, I figure they have chemistry that is potentially more suited for the "crud" and less harmful to the surface, especially delicate features that can add a lot to toning/lustre/interest, like flow lines or die polish lines. What's more, I often do stupid things like dip where I also construct my pbj sandwiches. wink.gif

Hoot

You can dip nickel coins, you just have to be careful, and not use strong dip. I've never had a problem, and once I dip 'em I'll let the coin sit for a while to make sure the color doesn't do anything funny. NCS would have been ok (I've sent some nickels to them), but on a $125 or so valued coin, the money I'd have to spend with them wouldn't be worth it.

Believe me, I'm a toned guy, I don't do much dipping. Only when necessary.

*Oh yeah, no PB&J allowed when dipping wink.gif

getting back to the topic. phatty has a very special method of liberating his NGC and PCGS coins. first, phatty gets liquored up. then, he simply places the holders between the two halves of his vice-like, rock hard buttocks and squeezes. phatty would post an image, but young'uns might be reading.