• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Jefferson Nickel

9 posts in this topic

I have two 1994 SMS Jeffersons. They are the Matte Finish graded SP69. One is from NGC and the second from PCGS. The PCGS provides the FS designation but there is no such designation on the NGC coins. I just looked around and am unable to find ANY NGC graded coins from this SP graded product to have that designation.

Did NGC leave off by accident? is it assumed to be FS due to the strike? thanks everyone for your insight.

David

Proofs are automatically considered as having fullsteps (although the reverse of 38 proof nickels are not always so).

My belief is that NGC classifies the SP (Matte Finish - only obtained from the Jefferson Nickel Coin and Currency set in 1994 and the Botanic Gardens Coin and Currency Set in 1997) as a proof and therefore does not designate it as fullstep.

PCGS normally does not include the step count on proofs either...I have no idea why they would do it for this and the 1997 year. Maybe they consider the Matte Finish as a non-proof?

Doug

reason for edit - added the word not to PCGS sentence.

It is kinda like the Mercury Dime Proofs. They are expected to be Full Bands so that designation is not listed on labels. Not sure if this applies to FBL Franklin Proofs as well but I think it does. Different TPGs can approach things other ways.

Well, technically you are right. Special Mint Sets were made in 1965,66,67. However in the years

2005 thru 2010 the mint put a satin finish on the mint sets and did not use the normal business strikes

for the mint sets. So all of those mints sets are designated SMS. If you search form SMS for any coins from 2005 thru 2010 you will see the SMS designation.

All of the registry sets contain 2 slots for those coins, SMS and business strike.

thanks for your answers/comments. I am putting the top modern set together and I did not know which to include for optimum grading. I have no idea what they mean by the 43rd coin in the set (1965-1967 SMS coinage, ultra coinage) or where to get it and more importantly how to get it graded by NGC

The 43rd coin in the 100 Greatest set would be a coin from the Special Mint Set coins produced in 1965, '66 & '67. The mint did not produce Proof Sets in these years, but to appease collectors the mint produced "Special Mint Sets". Collectors of the SMS coins from 1965 thru 1967 look for high cameo contrast coins, or rather, those coins which the devices are markedly contrasted from the fields of the coin. This is a tough endeavor to submit and make an Ultra Cameo coin from these years and can be especially more difficult or near impossible depending on the denomination.

so the intent of number 43 in this set is not to have the complete set graded by NGC as a single product but any coin within this 3 year span with the SMS designation?

Correctomundo! You need one SMS coin to fill the slot from any of the years '65, '66, or , '67 with the stipulation that the coin has been designated an NGC Ultra Cameo or a PCGS DCAM. The most available of all the coins is the 1967 Kennedy Half Dollar, but even they will be expensive.

Here is the listing of coins allowed in the slot: Slot: 43