• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

1864 2 Cents Tell Me The Grade (New Pictures)

7 posts in this topic

Hi all,

Got this over the weekend. I don't collect these so I'm uncertain. I can see reasons to call it unc, I can see reasons to call it AU. What's your opinion. Sorry, can't reveal anything because it's ungraded and probably never will be.

2ce7bde7-c415-45ac-8271-279d3d5336cb_zpsbhx6rubb.jpg[/img] ae821ba8-0b1d-4489-829b-7bbd845af013_zps7bi4zcyn.jpg[/img]

Really nice looking piece to me. looks unc. to me in the pictures, but hard to tell they are kind of dark. Anyway I do like the look of the coin.

The picture is a bit dark on in the top areas of both sides, but from what I can see I'd go with MS-63, Brown. The dull spot between "I" and "N" in "UNITED" on the reverse, and other possible dull spots on the top area of the reverse are limiting grade factors.

The leaves on the left side both obverse and reverse look a little "mushy" to me, I just don't know enough about them to know if that's strike or wear.

Thanks again.

Nice looking coin. I don't know enough to give my opinion on grade, but that's definitely a weak strike and it's not wear on the reverse left side. You can see the weak strike at the bottom of the S and T in the word STATES along with the weak detail on the leaves.

Good looking coin in my eyes. I would place it MS, just don't know what number since I don't have any in my collection.

My opinion only.

au-63 with a light corrosion spot between TE in states

I think ngc would call this coin au-58

and please remember ngc grades coins in hand I can only see the coin in the photo so the grade could differ au details unc. details

au-58

ms

??

and please read my disclaimer as below