• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

1971-D Kennedy DDR

8 posts in this topic

Are there any error coin gurus out there who can give me info about these coins? They have strong doubling of "STATES". I found two of them while searching $500 boxes from the FRB. I plan on submitting them, but I would like more info beforehand.

Thanks, Chris

Wiles lists a couple DDR's but neither are very dramatic and neither show up especially on STATES. The more likely match is doubled on most of the reverse periphery and is paired with a DDO. Look for obverse doubling on the serifs of the date and IGWT.

This is apparently a relatively common one since the price estimate is only $7 in XF/AU.

After careful inspection, there is no doubling on the obverse of either coin. However, I did find reverse doubling of "UNITED STATES" on one of the two. I just missed it before. There is no evidence of reverse doubling on the rest of the periphery of either coin.

Generally, I'm not in the habit of collecting error coins so I'm not familiar with any of the websites where they are documented. Which do you recommend?

Thanks for the help.

Chris

Sorry, Hayden. Wish I could, but I have neither the equipment nor the know-how. I'm just an old far...............t that likes to collect coins. I'm not in it for the money, so rather than spend the cash on camera and classes, I spend it on coin. I did some research after Cladking's (Why do they censor the initials?) post, and I've come to the conclusion that it is machine-doubling. What is confusing me, is the fact that UNITED STATES is doubled on one and only STATES on the other. However, the doubling of STATES on both coins appears to be identical. Why?

sign-offtopic.gifBy the way, did you have any luck finding your Keelboat D-rolls?

Chris

Sorry, Hayden. Wish I could, but I have neither the equipment nor the know-how. I'm just an old far...............t that likes to collect coins. I'm not in it for the money, so rather than spend the cash on camera and classes, I spend it on coin. I did some research after Cladking's (Why do they censor the initials?) post, and I've come to the conclusion that it is machine-doubling. What is confusing me, is the fact that UNITED STATES is doubled on one and only STATES on the other. However, the doubling of STATES on both coins appears to be identical. Why?

sign-offtopic.gifBy the way, did you have any luck finding your Keelboat D-rolls?

Chris

Chris,

Go pick your self up a good scanner.They can make OK pics,and they're good for beginers (and old geezers like me) yeahok.gif

As for your question on doubling,I'm not an error expert