• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

2013 Penny with bumps all over on both sides

6 posts in this topic

Sometimes the copper plating does not adhere well to the zinc core and you get a "bubbled" effect.

To expand on that sometimes the bubbles break which exposes the zinc that makes up the core of the modern cent. Many years ago I was looking to purchase a 1983 cent with the doubled die reverse. One of the pieces that was offered to me had a large broken bubble on the reverse. I could see that the zinc metal that was under it, was deteriorating. I wanted no part of that coin. I could see where one could put that piece in a flip, envelope or other holder and come back years later to see a pile of dust or half of a coin.

Zinc is a very unstable metal for coinage. It oxidizes far more rapidly then gold and silver or even copper. It is for that reason that a cent that is left outside for several months can quite literally disappear in less than a year's time.