• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

1853-P G$1

6 posts in this topic

A great many of those wild lines running here and there are from the slab. I tried buffing it out but wasn't able to totally eliminate them

What do you think this might have graded?

1853_Gold_1_Dollar_Type_1.jpg

Unfortunately the photo is not coming up for me this morning.

After spending the last couple of years building a set of Type I gold dollars I can tell you that the 1853-P gold dollar is by far the most common date in mint condition. You can find it in just about any grade desired up to and including MS-67. For that you reason you can sometimes find pieces that are very conservatively graded

I have one in MS-64 that I bought from a dealer years ago at a strong premium. The reason was that it was in his "crack out" box of coins that he was going to send in for an upgrade. Having looked at a fair number of MS-65 graded 1853 gold dollars, my piece is as good or better than many of them.

Opps, Now the photo has come up. So here goes.

The coin looks like an MS-61 or 62 to me at best. There are a couple of fair sized marks on the reverse, and the center of the obverse does not look that well defined. The color is that of nice piece of old original gold, but that look does not please some graders.

Not to steal your thread, but here is the MS-64 I mentioned earlier.

1853GoldDolO.jpg1853GoldDolR.jpg

And NGC only graded this very nice 1854 gold dollar MS-63.

18541GoldO_zps79ec11ed.jpg18541GoldR_zps4df19440.jpg

Bill I think you were dead on with your guess. It grades a MS61. I think I could probably get better photos if I put a little more effort into it.

My photos do not show some of the imperfections as the original sellers photo yet it does show some that the original sellers does not. Funny how poor lighting can do that. The color of the coin in the sellers picture shows the coin closer to that of your 1854 as my photo makes it look darker and less vibrant as the coin actually is.

As for the possibility of a 'rub' and the AU grades, I could see where one might think that but as Bill had mentioned it is a somewhat lightly struck in the center. The very highest point on the obverse would be the hair directly under the upper left of the coronet and that hair has a reflection from my light which makes it hard to see that it is largely untouched yet affected by the soft center strike collaterally. I believe it is within reasonable MS tolerance.

Thanks for the opinions from all and for the examples Bill