• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

New purchases - Help with Copper grading IHC & Flying Eagle

4 posts in this topic

Hello all! This is my first post on the forum, but I've been reading through different threads to gain knowledge for the past few weeks.

I've just picked up a few new coins and would like to get some opinions on their grade, color, and surface conditions. Their are a couple that I'm thinking of sending off to NGC to get certified and some others that I'm unsure about. Might depend on the feedback from everyone. Thank you in advance for all of your time, help, and suggestions.

1858%2Bflying%2Beagle%2Bsl.jpg

1861%2Bihc.jpg

1866%2B1__6%2Bihc.jpg

1889%2Bihc.jpg

1897%2Bihc.jpg

Welcome to the boards.

1858 AU 58 Weak struck with wear on belly and top of wing.

1861 AU 58 BN Cheek is clean but I can't see 4 diamonds.

1866 MS 63 BN Nice solid coin

1889 MS 62 RB I'm thinking the rim has damage at 12 o'clock on the obverse. Red obv, bn rev.

1897 MS 63 BN The hit on the chin is the only real gripe. Nice coin there.

Thank you both for your replies.

Welcome to the boards.

1858 AU 58 Weak struck with wear on belly and top of wing.

1861 AU 58 BN Cheek is clean but I can't see 4 diamonds.

1866 MS 63 BN Nice solid coin

1889 MS 62 RB I'm thinking the rim has damage at 12 o'clock on the obverse. Red obv, bn rev.

1897 MS 63 BN The hit on the chin is the only real gripe. Nice coin there.

Overall, all of the coins have more red in them than the photos show. I'm new to taking photos of coins and I really need to update my camera. That will probably help in the future.

1858 Under the loop the wing tip doesn't show any wear on the 1858. It is definitely a weak strike. I'm thinking it might be an MS grade as clean as it is in the field.

1889 is red on the obv and just as red on the rev but the photo doesn't do a good job of showing that. The rev does have alittle spotting in a few areas, but it's very minimal and they are tiny. I'm hoping this would grade a RD. Are you knocking it down to a 62 because of your concerns about the rim?

1866 1__6 Snow 5 variety and 1897 do look really good in the hand. Thanks!