• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Examples like this make me wonder how NGC comes up with their pricing in CE

6 posts in this topic

Examples like this make me wonder how NGC comes up with their pricing in the Coin Explorer.

The 2008-W MS has a mintage that is half that of the proof and average auction figures that are somewhat consistent with the listed price

The 2008-W Proof has a mintage twice as high and average realized auction prices that are just above $2k yet the listed value is $300.00 higher than the MS example.

I wonder how this happens? Does not make sense to me. (shrug)

2008-W MS

2008_W_MS_NGC_PriceGuide.jpg

2008-W Proof

2008_W_Proof_NGC_PriceGuide.jpg

Now that I look further I see that they do have some PCGS Registry (Bidiot) sales that may have actually resulted in that as well as having the wrong coins included in the realized auctions figures (example a number of G$5 1/10th oz Buffalo's).

1.) Mintage has got little to do with it. Supply and demand drive prices.

2.) Completed auction sales are the basis for most price guides. NGC trawls the completed auctions, and links many of them on the website. The listed guide value is based on these. If you have a completed sale, you can submit the info to NGC and they will incorporate it into their database.

3.) Its not perfect.

You are absolutely correct and I actually just noticed this "disclaimer" on the price guide that I had never noticed prior.

The World Coin Price Guide is independently compiled by Krause Publications’ NumisMaster. NGC makes this information available to its website visitors as a free service, but in no way does the information provided represent NGC’s official opinion or policy. For example, varieties listed in the World Coin Price Guide may not necessarily be recognized by NGC.

I was not aware that I could submit a known auction realized price. Thanks for that info. :)