• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

1929D SLQ .......

9 posts in this topic

I was just going through my SLQs and noticed my 1929D has what appears to be an interior die break/cud (is there or what is the difference?). It's just under the drapery under her extended arm. Just thought it was interesting........ :grin:

1929D_zps9fb662c3.jpg

Yes, there is a die break that extends from the stem of the olive branch in Ms. Liberty's right hand that extends to the rim. It is not a cud. A cud forms when that part of the die loses contact with the coin, which results in a lump of metal on the edge that has no elements of the design showing. If there was a die break that continued from the top of the olive branch to the upper rim, that could be called a retained cud because, given time, it could turn into a cud.

Yes, it's a retained cud under the sash and just above the wall. A piece of the die has fallen off the surface and planchet metal flowed into the new recessed area.

(Dies of this era were face hardened and tempered. If tempering were not done correctly, the steel would be brittle and soon crack and chip much as on your coin.)

Well....I think most of us (me included) missed it on your original photo -- despite your description !

That's a cud, alright. It's amazing how much we overlook the first few times around. I come back years later and spot cool things in our coins, all the time. I love it when that happens. You got a real nice one!