• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

NT, AT or "Oh Me!"

19 posts in this topic

This dime has been in my collection for a few years. I bought it raw and it is still raw. At first glance the coin looks rather ordinary.

710855-1873_1.jpg

But when you get in some better light and tilt it it starts to transform.

710857-1873_2.jpg

This last shot was taken with direct light from a halogen light. It was a low power halogen and required a long exposure.

710858-1873_3.jpg

I can't say I've ever noticed the coin looking quite like that last picture in hand. To show what the coin looks like in hand I would have to show many more pictures because it changes depending on the type of light and the angle. Most of the time the coin just looks greyish with some irridescent colors showing through, but direct reflection brings the color out strong.

What would cause a coin to look like this? Has it retoned after an old cleaning? I don't see any hairlines or evidence of a cleaning? Would I have a chance of getting this in an NGC slab? confused-smiley-013.gif

I think the only way to find out about NGC is to send it in. If it shows no signs of harsh cleaning, then they'd probably holder it. It's a nice coin and I truly don't know what to make of the toning. Perhaps jom once owned it and spilled some of his airbrush materials on it. confused-smiley-013.gif

Hoot

In my humble opinion, the coin looks like it was bleached years ago. After an improper bleaching, the result is a cast grey silver coin with underlying irridescence, rather like an oil slick effect. Not pronounce, but only at tilted angles. Full strength bleach will turn the coin dark grey/charcoal and leave a purple/violet haze. Bleaching is used to cover up hairlines, cleaning or alterations.

TRUTH

I don't think anything unnatural was done to this coin. It looks like typical toning brought on by exposure to paper or cardboard with a high chemical content. There must be millions of coins with similar toning, and they most times seem to be in the high AU to low BU range.

My theory is it's caused by the briefest time in circulation, where natural oil deposits from hands get on the coin, and react over a long period of time. I really don't think it's AT at all!

James

After an improper bleaching

Is there any other KIND of bleaching? Is a SUPERB bleaching a possibility? Just wondering. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

grin.gif

jom

I don't know if I've ever seen a coin that I knew had been bleached. If it was bleached to hide hairlines or alterations it did a great job because I don't see any.

I do have a seated quarter with similar toning, but the dead-on color is not as grey and the angled color is not as dramatic.

The color on the reverse looked almost spilt-on, which got me to thinking it had been exposed to some kind of liquid. No, the color doesn't float on the surface but it does have a liquid "oil slick' kind of distribution.

I bought the coin about seven years ago on ebay as an EF so I don't think it was doctored to increase the value. The color wasn't even mentioned in the auction.

The coin looks more like an AU to me but I don't know if I could find any luster under that thick grey tone. I was thinking it might not be worth sending in, but then I found this one.

Heritage auction

The problem with getting it slabbed is that it would make it hard to see the color. I have it in an intercept shield 2x2 holder now and when I tilt it to see the color I get so much glare off the plastic I can't see the coin. I'm not ready to sell it yet so I may hold off on sending it in.

Thanks for the replies. In case you can't tell, I've been having fun with my new camera and it gives you guys some pictures to look at and keeps you off the streets for a while. grin.gif

As far as the bleaching theory goes, I guess that can't be ruled out necessarily. But I suspect that kind of artificial toning would fade away pretty quickly. A good example would be when you accidentally leave change in the pockets of clothes that get washed. Sometimes, you'll see where the detergent leaves a residue, and that has the colorful "oil slick" color to it, but it fades away quickly.

I'm pretty certain this coin would certify with no problem at all.

James

I have owned a few AU '73 Arr dimes over the years that closely resemble your coin. IMHO, this coin is an AU, NT example. I think that a significant number of seated dimes have toned in similar colors after brief circulation. Conversely, I do not care much for the appearance of the Heritage coin.

I took this to the local dealer today. He said he thought it had an old cleaning but thought it wouldn't have any trouble getting graded. I'm not exactly sure what that means. confused-smiley-013.gif

Anyway, I left it with him to send off to NGC for me. He thought it would go EF45 or AU50. After the grade I got on that A&R quarter last time I think they owe me the AU grade. grin.gif

I'll try to remember to post the results in a couple of months.

• Administrator

I think he means that many of the older classic coins have been cleaned because there was a period in the numismatic world when cleaning was an accepted and frequent practice. As a result the vast majority of older coins have had some kind of cleaning in their past. Since that's true, the standards for body bagging cleaned coins vary a bit for the oldest coins versus newer coins.

However... I could be full of it, and I'm just parroting stuff that I've heard.

Archy want a cracker.

• Administrator

I prefer salted. I know we all have too much sodium in our diet... but come on... it's a cracker. What else is there that's good about it besides the salt?

makepoint.gif

well after the fact looks bleached to me due to this dark grey color and most probably long ago

and just from the scan without seeing the coin in person and this could change as per the above or bewlo sight seen in hand inspection

but i think the coin will slab but nonetheless it is still a bleached coin to mem in my minds eye

also there are bleaching experts especially so with seated material that most to many advanced and dealers cant even tell

i just saw one clearly bleached coin a rare higher circ extremely rare civil war era seated dollar get certified by the top leading grading service in august 2003