• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

NGC Slab Security Question

3 posts in this topic

Hello All

I received this coin today and I have many coins in NGC's holders including this one. I have heard many times about fake coins or fake holders or some combination of the two but never have seen one physically. Anyway, what I am wondering is as follows:

Is it possible to open an NGC holder remove a genuine coin and replace it with a bogus one, and then somehow reseal it?

Disclaimer: I am not seeking criminal advice, I am trying to debunk that this is the case with this recent acquisition. The plastic on the side where it seals has a milky stress mark and the holder has seen better days, it is chipped in a couple of places. Albeit it is an older slab. (The white insert totally encases the coin) I will attempt to place photos on here of the coin for now.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

A final thought, the lineage of this coin was an ebay purchase and the seller purchased it from Heritage Auctions. I have looked at the High Resolution photos on HA and the coin is exactly the one in hand. I think it is genuine enough but the holder sort of scares me a bit.

Mike

154164.jpg.b1ad778d7c7e31d6d9f02f405ff70dbc.jpg

154165.jpg.45b03b06ff68a112038a72cc47bd1de9.jpg

154166.jpg.f73cbbbeb50dc31215727db9bfdc15cc.jpg

154167.jpg.9d905bea22634fd40c56cbb0394bf5bb.jpg

A re-sealing of the type you asked about could occur, BUT it would almost certainly be detectable. Nothing about what you wrote or in your pictures gives me any cause for concern.

Wow, I must say I wasn't expecting Mark Feld to answer this. I didn't know you were on here. I did some more research after posting this and I really answered my own question anyhow. Thankyou for your reply. The holder has seen better days but I know now it holds its original seal, its just beat up. I might send it in for reholder but then again it's the coin I collect not the holder. Take Care

Mike