• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

1922 Peace Dollar

6 posts in this topic

Hello all, I picked up a 1922 Peace. The pictures are weak, sorry. The coin has strong luster but I can tell if there is wear on it... Also I'm concerned about the line of toning on the reverse, never seen anything like this before and curious if anyone knows anything about what would cause it. Thanks!

image.jpg

image_1.jpg

Looks to be an MS 61 or so. Lots of chatter in the fields.

The marks on the reverse were probably caused by rubber bands or something similar.

I would guess that the coin is MS because of the strong luster and clean fields. Can not tell if there is any wear in the hair above the forehead, on the ridge of the lower neck or wing because the photos are not clear enough.

There is something going with the cheek and neck that could be circulation rub that would cause the coin to grade AU, and a high end AU Peace Dollar will often not show any wear.

Thanks for the info guys. Would the coin still grade with the rubber band marks on the reverse? Or would it come back damaged/artificially toned/etc.?

I think it would grade, though it's possible it could be labeled "Environmental Damage". But I don't think the potential grade justifies the grading fees.