• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

First Top 100 VAM

7 posts in this topic

1800 CC GSA hoard

Going to be able to add to my Carson City Morgan Dollars, 1878-1893, GSA Holders Only Set.

Took a chance and bought in an online auction. Came in box which is in great shape and with certificate. Had to pay that dang BP. Oh well, I think it was worth it especially if coin comes back MS62 or better because it turns out be a be my first VAM. I hope I'm right.

Thanks to VAM World, I was able to identify each attribute including the 8 repunched over 7 in date with the original 7 pinched low, CC with dot of metal in center of each C, and die scratches through M of AMERICA and bottom of eagle's right wing.

This one going in for grading. I'll be posting images when it returns.

See more journals by JoeFerentz

Joe, was that one of those listings where the box is unopened?

Alpharetta -- not very far from me at all. Of course heading south makes any short trip extremely painful in Atlanta. :grin:

Bill

No, it was not. I did miss about 4 or 5 unopened GSA Hoards in an auction sometime last year though. Kick myself for not bidding on those. Think of the possibilities!

Unfortunately, there are not that many auctions in the Atlanta area that do a lot of coins, so online is the way to go for me. Never done ebay though.

Joe

Oh, Ok.

I know what you mean as I obtain the majority of what I collect from Auction Houses and ebay as well.

I noticed they were selling those "unopened" GSA Morgans on eBay once again and although it is very tempting I believe I would need to start drinking again before I would make an offer on those again.

I did buy two of them at one time using the make an offer. I went way lower than I thought they would sell them to me for however they did and I bought them.

1 - 1884-CC and 1 - 1882-CC About as common as they come.

It is tempting to gamble every now and then. :grin:

2 Unopened GSA Morgan Dollar CC

I bought a VAM and a clashed die. Had to sell it at a loss. Sure and begorra, need to really know your oddities before investing.

Just a thought

Cap'n B

Very nice! Congratulations! Identifying VAMS can be a lot of fun making the buying of coins for our collections more than an investment or inflation hedge but a cherry-picking pastime! MS-63 with the attribution you accurately nailed is just the icing on the cake!

Gary