• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

PLEASE REPORT THIS "Deceptive at Best" Great Southern Coin item on eBay!

23 posts in this topic

1942-D/D RPM...NOT RARE OVERDATE as Great Southern Coin Claims! Please Report ASAP.

Great Southern Coin has it listed as a RARE OVERDATE!

First they do not show anything about an overdate in the photos.

Some people must be thinking this is the very valuable 1942/1-D FS-101 which would be terrible.

The winner will be very upset when it is NOT an overdate at all, just an RPM.

There are at least 19 RPMs for this date and that is all this is, not even one in the CPG.

As a coin in its current cleaned condition it might be worth $50 max.

The bidding is nearing twice that with 7 hours left...and we know people will go nuts in the last few minutes.

They are being deceptive in their listing...err, trying to get people to think this is the VALUABLE OVERDATE!...or might be making a terrible Honest Mistake.

The RPM photo is not very good with the funky shadows going on but it could be WRPM-002, WRPM-005 or WRPM-008...or something else.

Please report this listing ASAP to get it pulled.

Thank you for your support in this effort. :)

:frustrated:

Have you sent a message to GSC? If they fixed the term "overdate" to "repunched mintmark" seems to solve the problem.

They can use the terms "SCARCE" and "RARE" all they want -- if you want to police that vein of eBay, good luck.

You can't save people from themselves...

(shrug)

Have you sent a message to GSC? If they fixed the term "overdate" to "repunched mintmark" seems to solve the problem.

They can use the terms "SCARCE" and "RARE" all they want -- if you want to police that vein of eBay, good luck.

(shrug)

I absolutely did send them a message. And no, changing the listing does NOT fix it because of where the bidding is at. As a cleaned coin RPM it is worth $50 max in my view. Even if the bidding ends right now at $90, someone will likely be very disappointed due to the deceptive/fraudulent listing....even if it was an "Honest Mistake."

As for saving people from themselves, I care nothing about that. The LIES or DECEPTION or FRAUD or "HONEST MISTAKE" is what I care about squashing.

(shrug)

I absolutely did send them a message. And no, changing the listing does NOT fix it because of where the bidding is at. As a cleaned coin RPM it is worth $50 max in my view. Even if the bidding ends right now at $90, someone will likely be very disappointed due to the deceptive/fraudulent listing....even if it was an "Honest Mistake."

If it's an honest mistake, it's not (also) fraudulent. And while I'm strongly in favor of accuracy in listings, the images are clear enough to show that the coin has a re-punched mint-mark, as opposed to an over-date.

They also have a 1921 Peace dollar that is scratched across the portrait. The photo is lit and exposed to hide the problem. Caveat Volpes.

(shrug)

If it's an honest mistake, it's not (also) fraudulent. And while I'm strongly in favor of accuracy in listings, the images are clear enough to show that the coin has a re-punched mint-mark, as opposed to an over-date.

What you fail to realize though is that the VALUABLE 1942/1-D also is an RPM...and it looks nothing like that one! So yes...the VALUABLE FS-101 is also an RPM and hardly anyone ever talks about that.

Kinda like when most people talk about the 1916-D Merc...many people ignore the fact that one of the 4 dies is also an RPM and is a key diagnostic when authenticating one.

I did NOT say also, I used slashes which I intended to mean "or."

(shrug)

What you fail to realize though is that the VALUABLE 1942/1-D also is an RPM...and it looks nothing like that one! So yes...the VALUABLE FS-101 is also an RPM and hardly anyone ever talks about that.

Kinda like when most people talk about the 1916-D Merc...many people ignore the fact that one of the 4 dies is also an RPM and is a key diagnostic when authenticating one.

I see no indication of an over-date in the images, so the fact that the 1942/1-D is also a RPM is largely moot.

I did report the listing as keyword spam and noted that it's not an over-date.

As for saving people from themselves, I care nothing about that. The LIES / DECEPTION / FRAUD / "HONEST MISTAKE" is what I care about squashing.

Well, I hope you don't have a day job, because policing eBay would be an 18-hr/day full-time job for an army of people, not just you. It's an admirable idea...but eBay is known for misleading sellers...and it's an impossible task to report them all.

I usually just tell people to stay away from GSC for everything -- that is also a solution...but I realize it doesn't fix the silly bids that have already been placed for this dime.

Emoticon_digging_hole_zpse0719a8c.gif

(shrug)

I see no indication of an over-date in the images, so the fact that the 1942/1-D is also a RPM is largely moot.

I did report the listing as keyword spam and noted that it's not an over-date.

Okay but with the size photos that they have posted, it would be nearly impossible to view a real 1942/1-D overdate. I should know, I have actually Cherrypicked one before. Had they posted larger photos of the obverse at least 2 times the size then I would agree with you. But in this case, I do not.

As for saving people from themselves, I care nothing about that. The LIES / DECEPTION / FRAUD / "HONEST MISTAKE" is what I care about squashing.

Well, I hope you don't have a day job, because policing eBay would be an 18-hr/day full-time job for an army of people, not just you. It's an admirable idea...but eBay is known for misleading sellers...and it's an impossible task to report them all.

I usually just tell people to stay away from GSC for everything -- that is also a solution...but I realize it doesn't fix the silly bids that have already been placed for this dime.

Emoticon_digging_hole_zpse0719a8c.gif

I agree! This is the FIRST TIME I have ever asked the forums to report something and I am hardly ever on eBay these days. I just happened to see this. I actually bought a TPG slabbed coin from them once and it worked out perfectly fine. It is the raw stuff from them that I have heard so many bad stories about. So when I saw this I thought it was important enough to report and get pulled.

OMG THIS IS TERRIBLE!!!!! They want to run the bidding up as high as possible and then let the winner know at the end?! The PRICE WOULD NOT GO NEARLY AS HIGH without the OVERDATE CLAIM, in my opinion. They can potentially rip someone that is less educated. That's wrong. Here is the reply I got from them.

:frustrated:

Hello, we saw the mistake and will notify the winning bidder of the issue. It does add some value to the coin, but not a lot as you have accurately pointed out. However, it is still good to know for those who collect RPMs and other varieties/errors.

Thanks for your concern,

Bobby Esparza

Great Southern Coins

1100 North Main Street | Suite 101 | Boerne TX 78006

Office: (830) 331 9117 | Fax: (210) 745 0358

Well, if you can't tell the difference between a true overdate and a double punched mint mark, maybe you need to study a little more before you bid. But yes, this is a misrepresentation of what they are selling, and their excuse, which has been posted ATS is lame.

Thanks. I did not notice the keyword spamming option but I didn't look all that closely through all of the options. I went the fraudulent route because it is NOT an overdate and on the webpage I saw the word overdate at least three times. Whatever.

I wonder how many REPORTS of a listing being fraudulent or keyword spamming it takes for eBay to take notice and pull an item. Clearly, multiple people have reported it, from here and ATS. Heck, GSC even admits the listing is wrong! Sad.

Wasn't there someone that had fake accounts that would bid something up into the 5-digit range and then just not pay of course. I can't recall who those folk were but nor would I encourage that but at this point I could certainly find some humor in it.

Well, if you can't tell the difference between a true overdate and a double punched mint mark, maybe you need to study a little more before you bid. But yes, this is a misrepresentation of what they are selling, and their excuse, which has been posted ATS is lame.
The thing here is that the expensive 1942/1-D overdate is hard to see in most photos and it also happens to be an RPM...not this RPM though. That is where the problem gets a bit more sticky.

I can't save everyone and I don't even try. This is the first time I have ever posted a thread to report a coin. Heck, it might be my last as well.

i wrote the seller and asked what made the coin an over date? the seller wrote back saying it was an error and omm was supposed to be used. seller then said if there were any more questions to feel free to write back and ask. hmmmft

I have been buying coins from GSC for 2 - 3 years now with great success. There photos are excellent, not juiced as some have said, but you have to know how to grade the coins yourself. If you are not comfortable with their photos do not bid. If you disagree with the way they are describing a coin or particular variety let them know. I have done this a number of times in the past and they were responsive.

buffnixx

And they have a 14 day no questions asked return priviledge which i have used a few times. No problems at all.

And they have a 14 day no questions asked return priviledge which i have used a few times. No problems at all.

That works fine for knowledgeable buyers. Unfortunately, many buyers of their coins appear not to be in that category.