• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

The game called The Registry ... Must be.

12 posts in this topic

2009 MMIX Ultra High Relief $20 Gold First Strike PCGS MS-70 PL

1 bid $16,000.00

I think some people take these ridiculous examples into equation when they say: "Well PCGS does bring a higher premium than the same coin in an NGC slab."

2009 Ultra High Relief $20 MMIX SAINT GAUDENS MS70

BIN - $3,199.99

Well you can't really argue that. That coin is definitely bringing more in PCGS skin .... :screwy:

I can't imagine that the PL alone is driving that price. Maybe that is PF. Is that you Jason?

Nah, not me. I don't have that much dough, and I certainly wouldn't blow it on modern bullion like that.

I really like the DPL ones, but they go for $4-5k (in NGC plastic). I can get a really nice actual coin for that, instead of a shiny piece of metal.

After posting that I did a little searching and I guess that bidder is getting a good deal if no one overbids them.

Ignorance is abundant in the cavity between my ears. :/

I was tempted to bid it up but my luck I would end up with it and there is no way in hell I would pay that for some bullion. :tonofbricks:

Well good luck to the bidder. I guess that is a far better deal than the $18k to $24k I see people asking on eBay for them. (shrug)

2009 MMIX Ultra High Relief $20 Gold First Strike PCGS MS-70 PL

1 bid $16,000.00

I think some people take these ridiculous examples into equation when they say: "Well PCGS does bring a higher premium than the same coin in an NGC slab."

2009 Ultra High Relief $20 MMIX SAINT GAUDENS MS70

BIN - $3,199.99

Well you can't really argue that. That coin is definitely bringing more in PCGS skin .... :screwy:

Totally agree. $1200.00 of gold and the plastic rating a theoretical "perfectly struck coin" has a market differential of $13,000.00. Excuse me, buyer could have bought 10 oz of totally liquid gold for less than his bid. Buyers of modern bullion coins leave me completely amazed. Oh, I forgot, it is a "First Strike". God bless the buyer---no one else will.

Carl

Carl, $17,600.00 with Buyer's Fee Hahahaha!

Wow!

I checked Heritage Auction Results and noted that 2009 Ultra High in MS70 brought $4000.00 to $6000.00 PCGS and NGC. The outlier was a PCGS MS70 PL that brought--yes it's true, $17625.00.

That buyer and this most recent buyer paid @$11,000.00 for a TPG label of "PL". That has got to be the highest premium paid for a TPG label I have ever seen.

Registry or bragging rights be damned, that is money that is totally lost.

Carl

Carl, $17,600.00 with Buyer's Fee Hahahaha!

Wow!

I checked Heritage Auction Results and noted that 2009 Ultra High in MS70 brought $4000.00 to $6000.00 PCGS and NGC. The outlier was a PCGS MS70 PL that brought--yes it's true, $17625.00.

That buyer and this most recent buyer paid @$11,000.00 for a TPG label of "PL". That has got to be the highest premium paid for a TPG label I have ever seen.

Registry or bragging rights be damned, that is money that is totally lost.

Carl

The one below is somewhat lower priced and an old auction (2009) but the premium is even greater.

The last time I found it when searching the Heritage archives, there was one in a "70" along with about 2300 in "69". Its the only "reason" I can see anyone paying almost $11000 for it. It also sold for about $7400 in April, 2012 when it was still the only one. Now the count in "70" is 13. I can only imagine how much less this coin is worth.

On the other hand, the same coin in "69" sold for $15 on Heritage in May 2012. The buyer of the first coin must have realy liked that plastic holder and those regsitry points.

http://coins.ha.com/itm/washington-quarters/quarters-and-twenty-cents/1974-s-25c-pr70-deep-cameo-pcgs/a/1121-2759.s

The one below is somewhat lower priced and an old auction (2009) but the premium is even greater.

Ouch!!!!!

That is egregious. :o

I have seen them at the shows in MS or whatever it is 69 or 70 holders for around $3,000. I guess they must be more now. I'd love to have a better one because the piece the mint sent me had die polish lines all over the obverse, but when you come down it, this coin really just a bullion item. It's listed as such in the Red Book. With a mintage of 114,427 and a virtual 100% survival rate, it's hardly a rarity.

The trouble is you just can't say "yes" to everything. I suppose I might be the only collector on the planet that has better looking 1907 High Relief $20 gold than a 2009 Ultra High Relief $20 gold.