• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Newest Additions... posted by Kamakazy

2 posts in this topic

• Member: Seasoned Veteran

Well, MoonDoggy! You were correct.

Back in 2012, fellow collector MoonDoggy, SixMileRick and others shared advice on taking a break.

THAT break has ended abruptly and without warning. Earlier this month I happened to be near Heritage in DFW and thought, what the hell, haven't been up to 17 in a while.

Got them to share a number of things but acquired nothing as I wasn't quite sure I was "back in the saddle".

Out with the iPhone, and I begin searching for dealers in Dallas. Tripped in to see a few but no itch.

Let's try eBay. Nope, just not feeling it...... But wait, what is that? I happened to be driving by the Federal Reserve Bank in Dallas, and there is a sign, Free History of Money Tour.

Why not? It's only money. I was surprised out how passionate the tour guide was. The words, "I Wish" continually rolled off his vocal cords.

Then I got a private tour around the rest of the facility. And I began to remember why I fell in love in the first place. My grandfather, father and of course me are legacy collectors. We are fortunate to safeguard history within our collections. THE VERY COLLECTIONS where others utter, "I wish".

I spent a few hours with one of the top currency traders in Dallas, who goes by Jhon E Cash, and his passion for paper currency was unbelievable. You would've thought he had just found nirvana.

Somewhere in the days that followed, I found myself surfing the web for new adventures, ended up purchasing a few new books on rarer bullion coins, and for the first time in a couple of years, bent over while pumping gas and picked up a dime, flipped it over, studied it, and realized what I was doing.

I caught my wife looking back at me in the passenger side mirror. "Anything special", she asked? Looking back at her reflection in the mirror I replied, "nope, just a dime".

She and I both knew better almost instantly.

So, in the first of a few annoying posts, here are this months conquests!

By the way, MoonDoggy, I printed your post on the boards when you first put it out there in June of 2012 and it has been on my office cork board for nearly 3 years, and am now shredding it at the end of this note.

16500.jpg

See more journals by Kamakazy

Wonderful story and post. I was getting weary with a few give and takes with some folks over some items, and I was filling my ears with hot air and began to lose my enthusiasm for what I (we) were doing with these coins and currencies.

After reading your post I feel refreshed and energized. That's good because after the verbal battle I was having with folks regarding secondary graders, I was about to throw in the towl.

Now, I am heading for a coupla coin shows this week, one very special, and I am then heading out in the world to find new 'stuff'.

Thanks again.

Capt. Brian