• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Your favorite people in numismatics

8 posts in this topic

Over the years going to various coin shows you meet all types of people in this hobby. Who have been your favorites? I will throw out a few names in terms of kind and genuine human beings, like the late Gar Travis, Bob Merrill of Heritage, and Randy Campbell.

Old Tyme: Filbert Gnomencalture - He invented most of the words used in numismatics. He also produced a line of "Famous Numismatist" automated garden gnomes, but went out of business when his "Wally" model was found to be violating the Easter Lilies.

As for modern numismatists of distinction, I think one of the best for now and the future is John Kraljevich.

As for modern numismatists of distinction, I think one of the best for now and the future is John Kraljevich.

Yeah that guy is pretty sharp no doubt. I have never met him but have spoke with over the phone on a couple of occasions. He has a extremely firm grasp of what he specializes in. I think he might have THE firmest grasp from what I have read about him. Very accomplished.

In no order. Mark Feld, Don Willis, Randy Campbell, Tom B, Charmy, Rick Snow, Doug on CT, Chris on CT, rlm on CT. Dena on this site. I could fill the page with folks I trust.

Boy, for me that's a tough question. I collected many years ago but took about 30 years off. After my return about 5 years ago I've met and spoke with a number of key people within the hobby but I can't really say I "know" any of them.

I do admire Mark Feld and the contribution he makes on this board. He has great knowledge that he readily shares voluntarily as does RWB, Bill Jones and others.

I've met Mark Salzberg several times at shows. When discussing/showing him my coins he's always been helpful and clear in his explanations about how he views whatever I hand him.

I guess from a learning perspective that's the best you can hope for. I admire all these people for their continued support of the hobbiest.

Let's see:

People I've met: Mark Feld, Brian Cushing, Phil and Ray Hinkleman, Julian Leidman, Mike Kittle, Jay Robinson, Truthteller, Dave Bowers

Online only: Hard Times, Coinman (Kenny), Eagleguy (PCGS board), Shamika (PCGS board), Bill Jones, Tom Bush

I've certainly forgot a few as well....

jom

The lead numismatist (don't remember his name) from American Coin & Stamp in Clifton, NJ. He spent about two hours going over grading with me and showing me some very high end pieces. I've never had a genuine interaction like that with a dealer.

My favorites are those that treat me with respect, with whom I have established good personal and/or professional relationships. If I were to drop names, most of you wouldn't know who I'm talking about, but those on the list already know who they are.