• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Highest Priced Toned Peace $ Ever...

29 posts in this topic

Nice coin in nice condition. I would not pay anything extra for the tarnish, but the coin will likely set a record for the date.

As with RWB, I would not pay any extra for the tarnish either. I know it is hard to tell for sure from the photos but the obverse seems to be a flat gray for the most part and lacking great luster, not something I would be a fan of. The thin film transference just doesn't impress me much based on those images. Those colors do not tend to bring top dollar for most toners, at least from what I have seen.

Im going out on a very fat limb and will say this coin will set a record for the most expensive toned business strike Peace $ ever sold at auction...

http://coins.ha.com/itm/peace-dollars/silver-and-related-dollars/coming-soon-/p/1219-13027.s

I predict it won't even be close. You're ignoring a number of toned better/rarer date pieces that have sold. They weren't necessarily gorgeous, but their scarcity resulted in high prices. In fact, I think at least one of them was discussed here, previously.

Well, how about you at least give us a frame of reference TonerGuy:

To the best of your knowledge and record keeping, what is the current record for a toned Peace dollar at auction? Any links?

Ooooo...someone asked for facts and substantiation.....Unheard of in numismatics! ;)

It was a silly limb upon which to venture by the OP. :devil:

I know of an MS67 1923-D that was toned - not beautifully - and which brought over $70,000. And an MS66 1924-S at over $50,000.

brg5658 - I was just playin' I dont track all auction sales of toned Peace $. But since this is 66+ and * on a 34-S it should be strong money. I doubt that there will be a much of premium paid for color though.

Usually when you get into higher grades and rare dates the premium goes down to 1.5x or even lower.

Mark - do you have links for those coins ? I would love to see them. How attractive was the toning ?

brg5658 - I was just playin' I dont track all auction sales of toned Peace $. But since this is 66+ and * on a 34-S it should be strong money. I doubt that there will be a much of premium paid for color though.

Usually when you get into higher grades and rare dates the premium goes down to 1.5x or even lower.

Mark - do you have links for those coins ? I would love to see them. How attractive was the toning ?

The coin you linked is a 1934P not a 1934-S. ;)

Search auction archives and you will find the ones I mentioned, as well as others.

Search auction archives and you will find the ones I mentioned, as well as others.

ahhh thats what I get for late night posting... lol.

okay so I retract the most expensive comment... my blurry eyes saw a 34-S...

Mark - is this the 24-S ?

http://coins.ha.com/itm/peace-dollars/silver-and-related-dollars/1924-s-1-ms66-pcgs-cac/a/1154-5301.s

and the 23-D ?

http://coins.ha.com/itm/peace-dollars/silver-and-related-dollars/1923-d-1-ms67-pcgs/a/1186-4681.s

if so I wouldnt really say they were toned...

ahhh thats what I get for late night posting... lol.

okay so I retract the most expensive comment... my blurry eyes saw a 34-S...

Mark - is this the 24-S ?

http://coins.ha.com/itm/peace-dollars/silver-and-related-dollars/1924-s-1-ms66-pcgs-cac/a/1154-5301.s

and the 23-D ?

http://coins.ha.com/itm/peace-dollars/silver-and-related-dollars/1923-d-1-ms67-pcgs/a/1186-4681.s

if so I wouldnt really say they were toned...

Yes, those are the ones I mentioned. While you wouldn't really say they are toned, both the images and the cataloguers' descriptions say otherwise. They are toned - toning need not be deep, beautiful or over the entire surface of a coin to qualify as toning.

But how much of a premium will be paid for such toning? Most of the money that coin will bring will be because it is a better date in awesome condition.

Common date MS65 Peace Dollars going for $2000 because of toning catches my eye quicker.

But how much of a premium will be paid for such toning? Most of the money that coin will bring will be because it is a better date in awesome condition.

Common date MS65 Peace Dollars going for $2000 because of toning catches my eye quicker.

I agree. However, the OP started this thread with "Im going out on a very fat limb and will say this coin will set a record for the most expensive toned business strike Peace $ ever sold at auction..."

I had an idea what he was trying to say, but he didn't articulate it well. If I didn't know him personally, I would probably be more gentle in my remarks. ;)

That is some mighty attractive tarnish. Sunset quality.

Lets say instead of another 98 Lincoln I drop a few grand on it. How long will it stay that color in the holder? Is that holder more or less air tight or will it depend on where I store it? I think under cared for leather lasts longer here in humid flooding St Louis than dry oven hot play baseball in the air conditioning Arizona. Opposite for the coin since my metal Mustang is probably better off in the southwest?

Nice coin, but as others have stated, the majority of the eventual sale price will be due to its condition rarity.

Uber-high grade VAMs share the same problem. VAM collectors don't usually like paying up for the grade and grade collectors don't like paying up for the VAM......

This makes me so glad I'm not addicted to toning. I do sometimes pay too much for history and rarity, but toning is not on my radar screen. The best thing I can say for this given what the price will probably be is, at least it's not a 1922, which would make it really common as date.

Nice coin in nice condition. I would not pay anything extra for the tarnish, but the coin will likely set a record for the date.

+1

The highest one I can find for the date is $27,600 for an NGC MS67.

+1

I was not aware of that one, and agree that this coin is unlikely to come anywhere near that number.

+1

I was not aware of that one, and agree that this coin is unlikely to come anywhere near that number.

For the record, I didn't opine whether I thought the subject coin of this thread would approach that price.

I agree. However, the OP started this thread with "Im going out on a very fat limb and will say this coin will set a record for the most expensive toned business strike Peace $ ever sold at auction..."

I had an idea what he was trying to say, but he didn't articulate it well. If I didn't know him personally, I would probably be more gentle in my remarks. ;)

No I screwed up... I thought the coin was a 34-S, Mark corrected my mistake and pointed out the coin is actually a 34-P. And I wasnt really serious in my analysis...

And no I dont consider the coins you posted or the MS68 toned. If it aint colorful its not toning... lol. Its original skin - maybe.

Carry on trying to have a serious discussion in a less than serious mistaken post...

This makes me so glad I'm not addicted to toning. I do sometimes pay too much for history and rarity, but toning is not on my radar screen. The best thing I can say for this given what the price will probably be is, at least it's not a 1922, which would make it really common as date.

Its ok. I'm glad I'm not into the history and rarity thing as often they don't add up to attractive. I'll take what's visibly pleasing to me every time and pay for it in the process.Odds are great looking pieces will always need a home. We currently live in a world where aesthetics trumps history. Now if you can find a coin that has history, rarity and off the charts attractive where money nature did her best work then you have something.

Mark

Its ok. I'm glad I'm not into the history and rarity thing as often they don't add up to attractive. I'll take what's visibly pleasing to me every time and pay for it in the process.Odds are great looking pieces will always need a home. We currently live in a world where aesthetics trumps history. Now if you can find a coin that has history, rarity and off the charts attractive where money nature did her best work then you have something.

Mark

I think you meant to say that you currently live in a state of mind where "purdy" is more important than the history and rarity. Speaking for the entire world is a bit far, even for you Mark. ;)

The attraction to toning and "purdy" colors on coins is a USA-collector mentality. VERY few collectors of material outside of USA coins (and certainly very few collectors physically outside of the USA) find rainbow toning to be desirable. I post regularly on 2 world forums and this is made abundantly clear anytime I post a coin with some color. My point being -- it may be a reality of the times for you, but it is not a universal mindset.

Now if you can find a coin that has history, rarity and off the charts attractive where money nature did her best work then you have something.

Freudian slip? For most of us, it's mother nature. Though I concede maybe that's not universal either. lol