• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

"Knowledge is Power" or "Nobody knows Everything" posted by MBC

7 posts in this topic

• Member: Seasoned Veteran

How I purchased a 1971 Assay Commission medal for $17.

To everyone who enjoys searching through eBay for a few hours, I can truly say there are bargains out there waiting. Last year I came upon a 1971 Assay Commission medal mistakenly listed as a Mint Director medal. After quickly confirming it was the real thing I was able to "Buy It Now" at the seller's price of $17 with free shipping. Oddly enough, the seller was a eBay coin dealer who had been around for a while, but he just didn't know his medals. It reminded me of the story of Cadillac Jack, a fictional antique picker from author Larry McMurtry who's motto was "Nobody knows everything" so "anything can be anywhere". Good words to live by. I was then rewarded when I submitted the medal to NGC and it came back MS-65. NGC Certification #2628773-001. The last time one appeared at auction was in 2008 and it sold for $4300.00

See more journals by MBC

That is a pretty good buy I would say! :grin:

I often look in areas totaly unrelated to numismatics and have seen some folks selling coins in and amongst a "lot" of junk. I just haven't seen one worth trying to cherry pick --- yet. ;)

Great post. Re-energizes me as I am about to head out on my annual treck across America to find the 'goodies'.

Now I'm tuning up my radar and studying everything I can. Don't want to pass a lotto win.

Capt. Brian.

Sad to say I am one who sold a coin I thought was a silver round. Turns out it was a Lafayette Dollar Commemorative. In original condition, possible MS grade.

Now that I am doing a Commemorative set, I am horrified!

Congratulations on acquiring such an interesting piece. ^^

In the last 10 years as an eBay buyer, I've seen a fair number of coins/medals listed by sellers who didn't know what they had. Most of those were real auctions though, so knowledgeable collectors bid them up to a fair market level. I'm sure some of these sellers had no idea why their item sold for the price it did.

The Buy-It-Now option though presents a unique opportunity if you just happen to be the first knowledgeable collector to see a misidentified or low priced item. I've pulled the Buy-It-Now trigger several times and come away with a nice prize. I even wrote a journal nearly a year ago on just such an acquisition (High Grade MacArthur Commemoratives). This seller even knew exactly what he had, but had assigned a Buy-It-Now price that was much too low.

It definitely pays to do your research.