• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Obverse scratches posted by Daniel McMunn

6 posts in this topic

• Member: Seasoned Veteran

Scratch--Obverse detailes

When I started my raw Washington Quarter set, I bought only BU coins. I paid a retail price for most of them. As I completed the set I decided to grade the keys. The Lions share of the Keys were graded Unc-details obverse scratch. Though I contributed to this problem I was upset at the number of Ebayers that did not disclose this. I am wiser now. I speculate the scratches on most came when removing the quarter from the 2x2 and dragging it against the staple. Are there any other thoughts on this?

See more journals by Daniel McMunn

I'm not familiar with the cause, but I'm hoping someone might enlighten me on a similar question. Aren't scratches a part of wear? Isn't that why the 1 - 70 scale was created? Other than an intentionally deep gouge, I'm not sure why scratches would cause a details grade the same way "improper cleaning", "environmental damage" and similar problems would.

Marcus

Was your set housed in an album with the plastic slides to keep them in place in the page?

Weren't the staples 100% removed from any 2x2 or flip before trying to extract the coin?

Some photos might help-- there is wear or "rub", there is also allowable "hairlines" which detract from grade but are not enough to make the coin unable to be graded--- and then there are "scratches" which have actually furrowed the metal and are considered damage and not just wear and tear.

Hello Gang! Here is my two cents!

I just sold this coin tonight. If the scratches looked like these, it is a Details (Obv Scratched) graded coin, if graded by NGC.

Michael

<a  href=_57_zpskcn7u99n.jpg' alt='_57_zpskcn7u99

I believe, if you would go to the coin grading book used by ANA, an official Whitman Guidebook, called "Grading Standards" for US coins. You would see what is required for each grade.

Of course, they cannot include each type of damage which would preclude a grade of AU or better.

Don't be dismayed; remember, all grading is subjective, and if you feel you have incorrect grades, question it. The grading company should be happy to take a 2nd look.

QUESTION EVERYTHING :^)

HAVE FUN!

Capt. Brian

The Lost Navigator

Add in a picture of your coin(s) in question. Let us lay folks have a peek at your pique.

My impression has been that common, inexpensive coins with very minor scratches will get body-bagged or details graded, while significantly abused rarities are frequently graded by the major TPGs.