• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

1877-P Liberty Seated Quarter

14 posts in this topic

Both sides appear to have AU sharpness, but the thick layer of tarish is covering a lot of the luster. I'll go with AU-50 as a grade. To go higher up in the AU grades, you need to have more and more luster.

This is one that I do believe NGC got wrong. Yes it does have luster and I believe the seller was well aware that it was overgraded but since the money paid was close to being between the AU58 and MS61 (Realized Auction Prices) - the spread right around there does not seem to be to wide, I figure I will just hang on to it.

Anyway, this is what it is suppose to be. (shrug) AU58 maybe ... but not what NGC thought.

edited to add, Tyler you are right there is more luster than what the picture represents and most of the marked up places are on the slab. If it was placed into a new slab I might very well agree with a MS61. But with the scuff marks and scratches on the slab it makes it hard to tell for sure.

Full_Slab_SLQ_1877-e1426207604225.jpg

I got this slab back out and focused more on the slab than the coin this time and I now can see why it is a MS61 and I now think NGC did get it right after all.

That slab is so scuffed and scratched up that you can't see many of the details in my photo such as some subtle die clash that I did not notice with the first inspection.

I tried using some of that polishing cream and buffing pad for car headlight lenses to see if I can possible make that slab bearable but of course my batteries for my drill were dead. later I will give it another go and see if I can fix the slab.

I have to wonder if some of these folks store their slabs on exposed concrete ledges or something. I just can't imagine anyone caring for their coins at all experiencing this level of degredation of the slab under normal storage conditions. (shrug)

I have to wonder if some of these folks store their slabs on exposed concrete ledges or something. I just can't imagine anyone caring for their coins at all experiencing this level of degredation of the slab under normal storage conditions.

If this piece has been sold in one or more major auctions, it is easy to see why the slab is so marked up. The slabs are placed in slab boxes and each person who inspects the lots before the auction slides them in and out against one another. After while the slabs end up with a myriad of marks.

It's no one's fault really. It's just a part of the auction process. Some slabs for the most expensive items are placed in slab covers, but in order to inspect the lots properly you need to slip them out of those, and that takes time.

There are two things you can do to help preserve your slabs. One is to store them in NGC slab boxes. The NGC boxes are much better than the PCGS equivalent. That takes up a lot of room in safe deposit boxes however. An alternative is to put all of your slabs in slab covers. The slabs don't stack as well, but it does cut down considerably on slab nicks and scratches.

Bill that makes sense and would explain it. I never thought about auctions and such.

I always spend the extra $5.00 (which should be included on all submissions and not extra fees) and get the scratch resistant holders. I feel they should not be an option. I have always kept mine in slab holders as well so it was hard for me to understand how some of them were so bad off, but now I know.

I'm late to the party, but I really like the looks of the coin Bill.

Are you planning to crack it and add it to your cabinet?

Joe, you slipped that one in there and I missed it. Sorry that I ignored you as it was unintentional.

No I reduced the size of my collection considerably in the recent weeks as I rethought my position and how it affects others in this hobby. When I take a coin or medal that has been graded and crack it out I only further reduce the accuracy and usefulness of the existing population reports unless I am also willing to send those labels in. I have many collected but have until now failed to send them in to the respective TPG. I plan to correct that soon.

I sold most of the better quality medals and coins that I had in the cabinet for a loss but to someone I think is going to have them re graded and slabbed once again. The cabinet sits in my living room now with only a handful of medals and raw coins that I have picked up. I realized that the cabinet will never have its desired effect on the contents unless I got it out into the open Southeastern US environment and away from all the silica packs in my safe. Time will tell. I have since returned to collecting most of my coins in third party plastic.

Add to that, Tonerguy in that 1921-P Peace Dollar thread had really made me stop and think about what I had did and whether it was the right thing to have done. I still think that coin needed saving but I will not be as quick to act next time. Still, it had nothing to do with money. I did submit that 1921 and have it placed in beautiful NGC white holder where it will stay as far as I am concerned.

Thanks Joe.