• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

2015 $5 Gold Proof Marshall Commemoratives

9 posts in this topic

I received the three proof coins I ordered from the mint today and I inspected these coins extremely well and I think there would be no reason to knock a single one down to a PF69UC.

Here is my question. If I were to decide to send all three into NGC for grading still in the OGP, without ever having removed them from the capsules, do they have any special process to remove the coins from the capsules without damaging them?

I know that any time I try and open a mint sealed capsule on a proof or other coin, I have a devil of a time getting the capsule to open evenly and have to take extreme care to not damage the coin.

Since they are grading and processing coins at such a high volume, how do they not damage my coin when in such a rush?

I think they are an outstanding design. I have the BU Silver, BU $5 Gold and both in NGC holders. I bought 3 of the $5 Gold Proofs since they finally came off backorder.

I was thinking about sending all three proofs in but I would really like to know how they keep from screwing your coins up getting them out of the OGP capsules before I did.

I am not really interested in that clad half but what is even better is my Wife likes them so that means I can buy them and not get in trouble.

Ever since I saw Rantique's Proof Silver Dollar (I need that one too), and that Marshall leaning up against that fence post, it reminded me so much of Robert Duvall in Lonesome Dove. One of my personal all time favorite westerns. (probably only because it takes 6 or 8 hrs to watch it). It is like an event when I put that in the DVD player.

But the best western ever, sadly enough, was John Wayne's last movie "The Shootist". Lauren Bacall, Ron Howard, Jimmy Stewart. (John Wayne and Jimmy Stewart go way back to "The Man That Shot Liberty Valence").

Oh, God! I got started on westerns.I apologize. Maybe that is why I like holding a circulated Morgan Dollar so much or and old Seated Liberty Quarter (two bits).

I have sent in several hundred in the mint capsules. I get a mix of 69 and 70 usually about 1/3 70.

I don't feel that any have been harmed. Don't know how they open them. Like you said its a real hard

thing to do, going round and round until you get it to pop open squarely. Its possible thay have something better that a pocket knife...hahaha

I bought a "limited edition" three piece Proof set. The designs are quite good, especially the eagle on the reverse of the $5 gold.

I really prefer my coins in the original mint package. To me they lose a lot when they are slabbed, but that's just me.

As for removing the coins from the capsules, I've done it in prior years, and you can do with some patience. They are easy to reseal also. I only got into them because there was dust or some other crud in a couple of them.

You could not get in and out of the early capsules, like the ones that were used for the Los Angeles Olympics. Once you broke those, they were finished.

I would ship the coins in the capsules if I were you. There is too much chance of hairlining the coins if you don't

Oh, God! I got started on westerns.I apologize.

What's wrong with westerns? :)

Nothing at all.... My home theater system just loves them .... now my daughter - she hated westerns.

Yes those things are really aggravating to open like you said.

Bill, if I were to send in any I would only send two, and I like you enjoy having some OGP stuff around. That $5 gold is pretty nice. The only reason I would sent the other two in is in the hopes of getting a 70 in PRUC to match the BU MS70 that I bought already in the NGC holder.

If I were forced to take them out myself and put them in a 2x2 then it just would not happen. The only way I think I would stand a chance at a 70 is for them to open them.

Just wish I knew how they do it. I might possibly pose that question later in the Ask NGC category later.

For now - I think I will go watch Lonesome Dove. ;)

I think they are an outstanding design. I have the BU Silver, BU $5 Gold and both in NGC holders. I bought 3 of the $5 Gold Proofs since they finally came off backorder.

I was thinking about sending all three proofs in but I would really like to know how they keep from screwing your coins up getting them out of the OGP capsules before I did.

I am not really interested in that clad half but what is even better is my Wife likes them so that means I can buy them and not get in trouble.

Ever since I saw Rantique's Proof Silver Dollar (I need that one too), and that Marshall leaning up against that fence post, it reminded me so much of Robert Duvall in Lonesome Dove. One of my personal all time favorite westerns. (probably only because it takes 6 or 8 hrs to watch it). It is like an event when I put that in the DVD player.

But the best western ever, sadly enough, was John Wayne's last movie "The Shootist". Lauren Bacall, Ron Howard, Jimmy Stewart. (John Wayne and Jimmy Stewart go way back to "The Man That Shot Liberty Valence").

Oh, God! I got started on westerns.I apologize. Maybe that is why I like holding a circulated Morgan Dollar so much or and old Seated Liberty Quarter (two bits).

Too funny about the westerns. Thanks for your opinion on the $5 Gold Commem. I thought it had a nice design, but I've told myself to stop buying coins for a while. I may just break down and get it.

Ever since I saw Rantique's Proof Silver Dollar (I need that one too), and that Marshall leaning up against that fence post, it reminded me so much of Robert Duvall in Lonesome Dove. One of my personal all time favorite westerns. (probably only because it takes 6 or 8 hrs to watch it). It is like an event when I put that in the DVD player

Lonesome doves :grin:

100_0255_zps9a294cc2.jpg