• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Is this Morgan worth the grading fee?

19 posts in this topic

I cannot grade these things. I do not collect Morgans. This was given to me by a relative. I had to extract it from a belt buckle. Yes, I realize it is a common date, but I thought I should give it the benefit of a doubt. Thanks for any opinions offered.

PICT0233_zpsqjluasyq.jpg

PICT0211_zpshf0goirb.jpg

Not really but before you throw it in with junk silver or sell it, go check out all the die markers for Zerbe and Chapman Proofs for that year.

They didn't make any official proofs and I can't tell much from your photo but the denticles sure are squared off. There just seems to be something odd looking about it.

Unc. 21 Morgans are worth around $30, a lot more if you get MS65 or better. But in a belt buckle was it protected or does it have any damage?

Occasionally it is worth sending in these lowest value Morgans but only if you can get the grading fees down low enough, Anacs and ICG run specials at around $10 from time to time. Unless you have enough coins to warrant a submission with some economic incentive it isn't worth doing.

Not really but before you throw it in with junk silver or sell it, go check out all the die markers for Zerbe and Chapman Proofs for that year.

They didn't make any official proofs and I can't tell much from your photo but the denticles sure are squared off. There just seems to be something odd looking about it.

It looks nothing like either a Zerbe or Chapman Proof - there is no reason to check for die markers.

So there would be no chance at all of their ever being an "impaired" Chapman or Zerbe proof?

If so that will save me a great amount of time before tossing a 1921 into the 90% bag.

Good to have you around Mark to add absolutes to us wandering aimlessly. ;)

So there would be no chance at all of their ever being an "impaired" Chapman or Zerbe proof?

If so that will save me a great amount of time before tossing a 1921 into the 90% bag.

Good to have you around Mark to add absolutes to us wandering aimlessly. ;)

No chance. The coin is not impaired and doesn't display any Proof tendencies. I speak in absolutes extremey rarely, but this was a very easy call.

I guess I have a hard time seeing it since I don't have the experience. I mean to me, with that poor picture presented, I would not be able to rule out the remote possibility. No in some ways it does not look like any proof.

But neither do these to me?

Notice any similarities?

When I saw his picture and that black stuff on the back it brought back a previous example I recalled vaguely.

Obverse.jpg

Reverse.jpg

I guess I have a hard time seeing it since I don't have the experience. I mean to me, with that poor picture presented, I would not be able to rule out the remote possibility. No in some ways it does not look like any proof.

But neither do these to me?

Notice any similarities?

When I saw his picture and that black stuff on the back it brought back a previous example I recalled vaguely.

Obverse.jpg

Reverse.jpg

The original poster's image allows viewers to see the coin's surface through the patina, whereas the one you posted does not. There are also noticeable differences in strike detail, particularly on the reverse.

The fact that the one you posted may not be identifiable as a Proof has nothing to do with the fact that the first coin posted is easily identifiable as a non-Proof.

One glance told me it wasn't proof. It's a fun coin, and I sure do love seeing stacks of them around, but it's a common silver dollar. If it were mine I'd get 19 more morgans to make a nice roll. :)

The only possibility for it being worth a healthy premium is if the reeding is widely spaced. That would make this coin VAM 44, which is by far the rarest of the infrequently reeded Morgan dollars. The chances of your coin being VAM 44, however, are very remote.

The "Zerbe proofs" are nothing but heaps of hype. Very ordinary PL coins - common for 1921 Morgans. No contemporary documentation of any kind.

Chapman coins were carefully made and limited documents exist. NGC had an exhibit at the ANA show a few years ago where the Chapmans could be compared with full medal-press proofs.

I am going to assume from your various responses the coin is not MS64 or better and not worth the time and expense to submit for grading.

Thanks for your time and effort.

Sorry --- Yep, spend the grading fee money on a nice dinner at a local restaurant and boost your economy.