• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Franklin Half GTG

18 posts in this topic

That is a very attractive 64+. I don't think it merits a 65 because of the marks on the cheek. PCGS called it FBL, but I would not (and neither would NGC).

That is very attractive toning on the obverse (which may bump it into 65 territory according to some, but I'd rather just give it a star).

Hard to tell from those pics (they are big and make hits look more distracting than they probably really are), but I'd be in the MS65 camp on this one.

I agree with Jason -- this is probably FBL at PCGS, but I don't think it would make it at NGC. The colors are quite lovely, and the coin has a lot of eye appeal, but I think given the chatter that MS65 is all the higher I'd go...and that's with the PCGS "eye appeal" bump... ;)

The numerical grade on a coin with this look is sort of secondary unless it's an uber-top-pop...the color alone will carry this coin in the current market (IMO). It's not a monster, but it's pretty darned attractive.

It got a huge bump for color. At that price level, I would not be remotely interested in that coin (especially with the fingerprint on teh obverse).

Maybe I am getting old and I cannot see as well as I once did , but I don't see a finger print.

To say that it got a "huge" bump because of color based on a photo – maybe if you had it in hand you would have a different opinion. However it does seem reasonable that those cheek marks would stop it at a 65. It is a very nice coin .

I also don't think the slight striation on the upper left of the obverse is a finger print. It especially doesn't look like one in the larger images.

All parallel line toning on coins is not fingerprints...

I concur about the fingerprint. While I'm late to the thread, it was the first thing I noticed in the OP picture.

Very nice looking Frankie! Congrats on your acquisition.

Print is at 9:00 on the obverse

I'm not normally one to criticize someone elses coins but MS 66 FBL? The top bell lines are almost non existent to the left of the crack and the chatter on Ben's face and in the left field seem to have been missed.

This was a gift by the grading Gods ATS.

I'm not normally one to criticize someone elses coins but MS 66 FBL? The top bell lines are almost non existent to the left of the crack and the chatter on Ben's face and in the left field seem to have been missed.

PCGS's FBL standard only requires separation of the bottom set of bell lines, and not the upper. By its published standards, it does meet PCGS's FBL criteria.

I dont see a finger print on this coin .

I would have guessed 65FBL,shot 66FBL,based on the images. I'm not so sure it was a grading gods gift.

That's not a fingerprint IMO.

It annoys me when people classify all remotely parallel lines on a coin as a finger print. Finger print lines curve...and are not that "dainty"...

I concur about the fingerprint. While I'm late to the thread, it was the first thing I noticed in the OP picture.

Very nice looking Frankie! Congrats on your acquisition.

Not mine, though I wish I had one like it!