• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Would you recommend this coin for conservation?

9 posts in this topic

Please see the photos below of a 1904 Morgan graded MS 62. The coin looks like it sit on a shelf and collected dust over the years and has very low luster. I purchased the coin raw for a good price and had it graded. I am into the coin for about half its value. If the coin was submitted to NGC for conservation, would the coin likely be approved for conservation?

If the coin was conserved, would it help the luster, and could it increase a grade?

153639.jpg.22ed3ad6e3f8246fde8465a9c6ff5543.jpg

153640.jpg.87fec16900b1b15fb034446006e2865a.jpg

This coin appears to be a little better struck than most 1904 Morgans with luster that seems above average as well. It's quite rare to find one that's "flashy" so even if you gave the coin to NGC to conserve it, there's a question about what can really be gained.

The pictures don't show the dusty look you're pointing out but if it's different obverse to reverse, then maybe there's something to conserve.

I think they just ship it back if they feel there's nothing to gain.

I dunno, it's a tough coin though. Is it worth any risk?

I have actually submitted a coin for conservation(although ATS with good success...it was a Top Pop rare variety and I wanted to protect the grade on the holder and prevent any further damage to the coin) and I have also done silver conservation myself. Based on those images, I would not do anything with it. On slider coins (the real range that can be tricky on silver in my experience is AU53-MS64), it is very very difficult because the luster is already impaired. If you remove the grime/sludge/layer of whatever sitting on top then you run the VERY VERY REAL RISK of NOT finding luster underneath. If that happens you are typically left with very flat GRAY areas on the coin. If that happens you might end up with a ruined or AU coin.....then you might feel inclined to play the game of cracking it out, placing it standing up on your humid bathroom window sill to tone back over during the course of 6 months to a year....if you want to take the slow and as natural as possible approach. Then you gamble on that crusting over enough to resubmit the coin. Blah blah blah. The money and frustration is typically not worth it.

Bottom line most of the time: If you are happy with the coin, then keep it as is. If you are not happy with it for your collection then thank your lucky stars that you are only in it for 1/2....SELL IT for a nice profit and then put that money towards a higher grade example that is already slabbed/stickered that you will be happy with.

If you say it has LOW LUSTER...leave it the heck alone!

My 2 cents. Good luck.

I will tell you that nobody can tell u that based on a picture. many times though if u submit a coin to NGC that can be significantly helped by conservation, usually they will let you know and at least throw it out there as an option. But also instead of asking here you could send it for them to review. They will only do it if they are confident it can be helped. ..

No, I do not recommend submitting the piece to NCS. I am not convinced that there is anything that can be done. It looks like a dipped out lower grade MS coin to me.

Agree with this. Hard to give a definitive answer without examining your coin in hand. Take it to a large coin show and get a few opinions. My first inclination is to leave it where it is.

Although this coin does have some "thin film interference," which is a fancy term for tarnish, the root cause lies in the nature of 1904-P dollars. The 1904 Philadelphia Mint dollars were among the poorest made Morgan dollars that the Philly Mint ever produced. Many have what is called "gray luster" which means that they have a dull and lifeless appearance. A 1904-P dollar with attractive luster is the exception, not the rule.

Therefore there really isn't much a conserver could do for your coin. It was made with weak luster, and removing whatever film might be on the piece won't do much to change that. Sending this piece to NCS would be a waste of money in my opinion. Although the coin appears to have relatively mark free surfaces, it won't grade any higher than MS-62 because it lacks luster.

Thanks for the information. The knowledge on this board is remarkable and I have learned a lot in a short time.

I am not going to send the coin in for conservation. I will be looking for a flashy 1904 P coin in a higher grade as noted it is a difficult coin to find without dull luster and lots of abrasions.

Straight acetone will not harm these coins and a soak with zero friction is an option. The current minimum on actual conservation is $30 or so, under $20 on copper spot removal on gold coins and $10 or so for the evaluation. I would get a local expert to eyeball the coin and see what they assess as the best course of action.