• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

SMS and PL designations of 1965-1967 Coinage

2 posts in this topic

NGC grades all U.S. regular issues as proof like whenever the coin warrants it. It is my understanding that the quality of the SMS coinage in 1965 was much poorer than in subsequent years. As such, exactly how does one distinguish between a business strike and SMS when a coin is borderline? How would you decipher this from a true PL business strike?

• Administrator

Thanks for your question. I consulted with David Lange, NGC Research Director on this one. He tells me the 1965 SMS coins ranged from semi PL to fully PL and can be a little deceptive, especially when toned. The safest distinction point is the smoothness of the fields from deliberate polishing of the dies. MS dies that were polished in the conventional manner just to remove flaws and signs of erosion typically will show irregular polishing lines not seen on SMS coins.