• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

1921 Peace S $1, thoughts?

61 posts in this topic

That 1921 looks like it has a really good strike. I think it has potential once you get a better photographer on it. ;)

Hard to tell much from the photo there.

How is the luster in hand? Are there any spots where the luster is dead? If the toning has substantially muted the luster, I think the coin would come back as having environmental damage.

Thanks all for your thoughts.

(thumbs u

The image is the sellers. I asked for a larger image but nothing yet.

It is graded PCGS MS63.

I have not purchased it yet and just need others thoughts before I pull the trigger.

The image is the sellers. I asked for a larger image but nothing yet.

It is graded PCGS MS63.

I have not purchased it yet and just need others thoughts before I pull the trigger.

In that case, I would expect the piece to sell for a deep discount despite its originality. PCGS has seen the coin in hand, so I would trust that the coin probably still has some luster and is not at the point of being environmentally damaged yet. Nevertheless, I don't think it is that far way. I like original coins as well, but this is one that I would pass on.

Darker toned Peace S $1. What cha think?

I agree. It looks to have above average strike, too.

The toning is maybe a little dark for my taste, especially on a Peace dollar. There are other coins on which I'd like the toning better. It's sort of like chocolate covered bacon. Nice, but there are better ways to enjoy chocolate and bacon.

The deep blue on the obverse almost looks terminal. So if there's anything on this dollar that you dislike going in just remember a future buyer will most likely ponder the same. As it's important to always consider an exit stagey prior to purchase. Best part about this hobby is when you pass on something that's not quite right something else is usually hiding right around the corner for you to better spend your funds on.

Lee was kind enough to give me second dibs on that coin and I decided to take it home with me.

I am looking forward to the scrutiny of this coin once under a better photographic environment instead of an iPhone looking picture.

Will update this thread with a higher quality picture sometime during next week or possibly next weekend. ;)

Lee was kind enough to give me second dibs on that coin and I decided to take it home with me.

I am looking forward to the scrutiny of this coin once under a better photographic environment instead of an iPhone looking picture.

Will update this thread with a higher quality picture sometime during next week or possibly next weekend. ;)

(thumbs u

I received the 1921 Peace Dollar in today and after trying many configurations, it seemed to me that the settings that produced the most realistic appearance of the actual coin was:

f/11 @ 1/30th sec ISO 100 and white balance set using 18% grey card and settings on my Canon were Neutral.

I could gain much more vivid (however unrealistic) shots using Landscape and Standard but I believe the Neutral did the best. Neutral having no compensation at all: 0,0,0

I will let you folks decide if it looks any better than the original photos or if they captured the coin accurately. I have my own opinion of course. I will save it for later though.

1921_P_Peace_Dollar_PCGS_MS63.jpg

HMR_21Peace_Combo3.jpg

I think your pictures are more lively to me, and depth is greater, and colors are more acceptable. I like the coin very much, and don't think it is dark at all. I personally don't see any detraction from the toning.

I think the color of the new photographs is more even in color and more acceptable. It still isn't my cup of tea, but it is far better than I had envisioned. I have no problems with the coin being encapsulated by PCGS at the grade that it did, and it doesn't look environmentally damaged to me after all. It looks more attractive in the newer images.

Darn!!!!

I was hoping you fella's would dog it out bad and justify what I did. :grin:

OK. Just remember here folks.... this was my money that I spent so don't go too hard on me.

The coin is still in one piece after all ...... :/

1921_P_Peace_Dollar_PCGS_MS63.jpg

1921_P_Peace_Dollar_PCGS_MS63_02.jpg

Maybe I should just come back tomorrow. hm

I was hoping you fella's would dog it out bad and justify what I did. :grin:

1921_P_Peace_Dollar_PCGS_MS63_02.jpg

Maybe I should just come back tomorrow. hm

The newest, new images, also show more luster, which is a huge plus. Based on the initial post in this thread, I would never have guessed the coin looked like the two images you took Bill. I'll admit it. If the coin has as much luster as the picture above suggests and is accurate, I don't have a problem with the coin. It isn't one I'd pay a premium for though.

I bought that coin with the thought in mind of doing just what I did. I told Lee and although he was against it, I really thought I could give it more of a peripheral toning while highlighting the devices and still maintain its general old toning feel.

I had miscalculated slightly as the toning was very close to terminal, imo. I was not about to ruin the luster that was there in order to achieve my goal. This is the result and as far as this coin will be going.

It is bathing in acetone as I speak, to ensure that it is stable, and who knows, I may end up resubmitting it one of these days.

I am happier with it now - that is always a big plus when collecting I hear tell. ;)

It is bathing in acetone as I speak, to ensure that it is stable, and who knows, I may end up resubmitting it one of these days.

Acetone will not stabilize natural toning. Proper storage should though. Acetone will only remove any organic contaminants from the coin's surface.

Bill,

I like the 2nd set of photos you took. The toning is not my cup of tea, but the coin looks better than the orginal pics.

I hope you'll post the coin after its acetone bath.

Artificial toning. The orange/brown/blue progression is true to the toning spectrum. However, there is no clear progression and the colors are blotchy and floaty. The blue, for instance, comes and goes on the obverse. AU/UNC. Worth maybe $100.

Artificial toning. The orange/brown/blue progression is true to the toning spectrum. However, there is no clear progression and the colors are blotchy and floaty. The blue, for instance, comes and goes on the obverse. AU/UNC. Worth maybe $100.

The toning does not look artificial in any way. It looks like natural toning that has continued to progress towards terminal toning. There is a big difference. And I can say, having handled several toned Peace Dollars myself including many encapsulated by NGC and PCGS and having been reviewed by CAC, that there is nothing questionable about the pattern of toning. Peace Dollars do not tone in the same way that Morgan Dollars do, and for good reason. I won't go into all the difference about storage and environmental conditions in Treasury vaults of the late 1800s versus the early 20th century or the differences in Peace Dollar striking and planchet preparation as these topics are beyond the scope of this thread.