• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

1807 1/2 Penny and Farthing

2 posts in this topic

Since you are new, I don't want to sound like a mean guy, but from your pictures I don't think that you got a couple of "cherry picks"

The first link goes to what appears to be an English half penny. The color is odd, but I can see that the surfaces are porous and corroded. As such this coin will not get a grade from NGC. It will be labeled "environmental damage" probably with a sharpness grade of VF.

I can't get the next two links to work.

The fourth and fifth links go to an English farthing that looks to have the color of silver. I don't know what is going on with that. At the any rate the coin has the sharpness of a VF using American standards, but the British have tougher standards than we do so they would say VG or Fine. The surfaces appear to be slightly porous on this piece as well. It has a better chance of grading that the first one, but it would not surprise me if it got a "not grade" as well.

According to my Spinks catalog these coins are expensive in high grade (EF £ 80 and £ 100 respectively), but these coins are not EF, even by American standards. Beyond that the coins are £ 10 and £ 12 in VF, and I don't think that these coins will make VF.

I have extensive knowledge about American coins, and I'm getting up to some speed with the British series. This part of the forum is devoted to grading opinions about U.S. coins so these pieces are bit out of place here.