• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

books posted by Fishergirl

3 posts in this topic

• Member: Seasoned Veteran

I have purchased

thanks to all the replies.. it is hard to focus my collecting to one or two series ,because I love them all. I have picked up some, reading materials. . I have the red book, franklin and kennedy book and a cherrypickers volume one I think... ? does anyone know anything about die clashes.. I found some in a roll of shield cents. thanks. I attached a pic

16410.jpg

See more journals by Fishergirl

IMHO. die Clashes are a bit of handy work by someone who likes to confuse the issue on things.

However, since die clashes are an item we have todeal with start here:

Sometimes known as clashed die error also. A die clash error occurs when the coin dies come together in the coining process without a planchet between them.

A Planchet is a prepared disc-shaped metal blank onto which the devices of a coin image are struck or pressed. The mital disc is called a blank until the time it passes through the upsetting machine which cause the rim to be raised. Once the blank has a rim, it is called a planchet. Ok so far?

It is a blank before getting the rim, and a planchet afterwards.

When these dies come together it may caue an imprint of each die to be left on the opposing die face. For example, an impression of the obverse die is left on the reverse die and vice versa. Although ususally the mint usually cleans these marks up, they are sometimes visible on the coins themselves.

Ususally a clashed die mark is very hard to determine from a bag mark. I am sure some folks like to call their vams or clashed dies for personal reasons and some of it is a true error.

Hope that helps.

try this too: http://www.vamworld.com/clashed+dies

To simplify, think of two symbols clashing with nothing inbetween.

Capt B

Cherry Pickers guide 1 and 2 are very good. You will also want series books to help you pick through your sets.

Lincoln Cents -- I have The Complete Guide to Lincoln Cents by David Lange

Roosevelt Dimes -- I have The Authoritative Reference of Roosevelt Dimes by Kevin Flynn

and so on...