• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What is the difference between...........

9 posts in this topic

.........a strikethrough and a struck through?

If someone said to me that they have a coin that is a strikethrough, I would ask them if they knew what it was struck through.

Why do people say that they have a "struck through" when they don't know what it was struck through?

Chris

A "strikethrough" is when you miss the ball completely and "strike through" the pitch.

A "struck through" is when you hit the pitch but it's foul (or fowl); but, the runner might advance if it's a foul fly, (or a flying fowl).

Isn't numismatology simple?

I know both NGC and PCGS designate struck through errors. But do they ever identify what left the impression, i.e. "struck thru grease" or "struck thru wire bristle" or whatever?

EDITED TO ADD: I don't like the informal "thru", but that's what's on the NGC slabs.

I just think it sounds dumb calling something a "Struck Through". It sounds more grammatically correct to call it a "Strike Through".

Chris

I just think it sounds dumb calling something a "Struck Through". It sounds more grammatically correct to call it a "Strike Through".

Chris

Yeah, "struck through" would be the past tense...and "a struck through" would just wrong. I see "broadstruck" and "broadstrike" used the same way quite often.

You have to thank Teddy Roosevelt for "thru." "Altho" most of his linguistic ideas "didnt" stick.

No kidding, I didn't know that. I knew TR popularized some colorful words and phrases, but I didn't know about "thru". I just did a 5-minute Google search and I'm assuming "thru" was part of the Simplified Spelling Board initiative? I wonder what they would have thought the acronym talk today, i.e. "OMG", "LOL", etc., or things like "GR8" and "THX".

TR was into simplification of spelling. He did not, however, support and acronym proliferation. (Acronyms are difficult to shoot, and taxidermists have rarely gotten one properly mounted for wall display.)