• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Grade this 1917-D Buff Nickel for me please.

15 posts in this topic

It is advertised as Brilliant Uncirculated Mint State Ful Details Gem

I am undecided .... :facepalm:

Buffalo_Obverse.jpg

Buffalo_Reverse.jpg

What say you?

It looks like a very soft strike to me. I'm not seeing anything that indicates "rub" but the feather detail near the rim, the tail , horn and head detail is flat and hardly full details.

My guess is AU 55.

I would say that it is an AU that is not full struck so the grade given is wrong on both counts. There is definitely wear on the buffalo's body, and there are missing details on the buffalo that were never struck up.

PASSSSSSSS - and you already know why !! :grin:

Yes I absolutely do. :grin:

I would not have even considered that coin AU but since so many here seem to think so that just shows how little I know about the series.

With the horn tip and the tail missing and front shoulder flat and the major flat spots on the reverse as well as the obverse from what I considered wear, to the feather on the Indian that has absolutely no details.

I have a small bag of what I thought was worn Buffalos ... Maybe I need to check them again if that is an AU.

Thanks folks.

PASSSSSSSS - and you already know why !! :grin:

Yes I absolutely do. :grin:

I would not have even considered that coin AU but since so many here seem to think so that just shows how little I know about the series.

With the horn tip and the tail missing and front shoulder flat and the major flat spots on the reverse as well as the obverse from what I considered wear, to the feather on the Indian that has absolutely no details.

I have a small bag of what I thought was worn Buffalos ... Maybe I need to check them again if that is an AU.

Thanks folks.

Did you buy this coin ??

No!

Hahahaha!

Absolutely not.

I came across the listing and it was so egregious in my opinion that I wanted to get a consensus as to the possible grade since I don't think I have ever bought even one Buffalo Nickel.

Apparently it was only one step away from Brilliant Uncirculated Mint State and possibly a few steps away from Full Details Gem.

I looked at examples graded and sold and at Photograde and I came away thinking XF but I would not have ever thought it would be AU. Not even AU50.

*** Edited - After looking again over the Photograde at the AU50 I might be more inclined to agree if folks here thought it might have been AU on the low end. Read - Lowest end.

No!

Hahahaha!

Absolutely not.

I came across the listing and it was so egregious in my opinion that I wanted to get a consensus as to the possible grade since I don't think I have ever bought even one Buffalo Nickel.

Apparently it was only one step away from Brilliant Uncirculated Mint State and possibly a few steps away from Full Details Gem.

I looked at examples graded and sold and at Photograde and I came away thinking XF but I would not have ever thought it would be AU. Not even AU50.

*** Edited - After looking again over the Photograde at the AU50 I might be more inclined to agree if folks here thought it might have been AU on the low end. Read - Lowest end.

Less than $100 for that "Gem" :grin:

Yep!

To bad that seller didn't have the time to have it certified and problem free. Maybe the buyer will have the time to put that "GEM" in a holder.

As I said, I am not that familiar with Buffalo Nickels and was asking more for research purposes on a piece I am working on and was not even considering a purchase.

The coin appears worn. With that said, the issue is known for a weak strike and it is possible that this could be from a weak strike (although I am leaning towards it being wear). I would need to examine the coin in hand to look for luster disturbances.

On another note, even if the coin were uncirculated (which I doubt), the spots are bothersome.

The wear on the Buffalo's hip bone tells me it is AU at best. Possibly less.

Sure...there are a few dates you could say it is a strike issue but usually is shows up at the head/horn or body not the hip. Of course, if it was a 26D that's another matter.

jom