• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Who says corn ain't golden?

22 posts in this topic

"One person's trash is another person's treasure!"

It does seem like it gets a little ridiculous to see the extents that some people will go to buy something odd. Does anyone collect used Scripto disposable lighters? I have a bunch of them that you could use to make fishing lures or wind chimes. Make me an offer!

Chris

I bet there would be a bit of interest in that set, but absolutely NOT at that asking price.

The fact that there are 15(?) of those sets available from this one seller doesn't help his/her asking price either.

If you are going to try and score, at least list one set like it's something truly rare, and then wait a little bit, list another etc.....

Rick needs to have his eyes checked. The grade went up just going from the slab to the auction title.

Ooops, I see, now that I read the fine print, another stock photo.

What are you people talking about? You make it sound like this is just another minor die variety. This is the single most significant variety for US coins in the past 100 years (other than the Accented Hair Kennedy which is the single most significant variety in all of numismatics).

$1100 for a set of these in MS67 is a steal! We all know that there are over 100,000,000 state quarter collectors in the US alone. How many of these coins are there? A few thousand? A few hundred thousand? They are a steal!

Word is that these will be soon part of the Registry Sets. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif Don't you want the #1 registry set? Don't be a piker and skip this important variety!

These are going to turn out to be as significant as the "P"-less quarters from 1988. thumbsup2.gif

I'm also glad to see these coins have CherryPicker's numbers (for the forthcoming non-existent CherryPicker's Volume 2 book due out in 2036).

What are you people talking about? You make it sound like this is just another minor die variety. This is the single most significant variety for US coins in the past 100 years (other than the Accented Hair Kennedy which is the single most significant variety in all of numismatics).

$1100 for a set of these in MS67 is a steal! We all know that there are over 100,000,000 state quarter collectors in the US alone. How many of these coins are there? A few thousand? A few hundred thousand? They are a steal!

Word is that these will be soon part of the Registry Sets. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif Don't you want the #1 registry set? Don't be a piker and skip this important variety!

These are going to turn out to be as significant as the "P"-less quarters from 1988. thumbsup2.gif

I'm also glad to see these coins have CherryPicker's numbers (for the forthcoming non-existent CherryPicker's Volume 2 book due out in 2036).

Do you think it might even overtake the greatest coin of all time, the PMM, in popularity?

-JamminJ

Do you think it might even overtake the greatest coin of all time, the PMM, in popularity?

-JamminJ

Alas, the PMM never got a cherrypicker's (or cherrypisser's blush.gif) variety listing. I think these leaves of corn are significant, and genetically engineered to boot. I'd pay upwards of 50 cents for each of them! Heck, I'd trade a spanking-new Sackie for each one! thumbsup2.gif

Hoot

In all honesty, I think they're kind of cool.

I would pay a buck or two for each - but only in ugly SBAs from the post office. wink.gif

-JamminJ

I would pay a buck or two for each - but only in ugly SBAs from the post office. wink.gif

-JamminJ

Yeah, they are minor cool. Lots of coins can be found with these minor die errors. This one just happens to look like part of the design.

They'll be much cooler if it turns out they are actual design varieties. Still not worth $1100, buta tad bit cooler.

there were quite a few threads about these coins across the street. this one was the largest by far and was spawned by Rick

I like Rick but from the looks of it on ebay and from reading his thread it sounds as if he has hundreds of them himself not to mention the 50+ sets and singles on sale on ebay at any given moment.

The thread started out fairly innocent but then I think it took an ugly turn into Hype territory.

Personally, I'd buy a set of them for maybe 25 bucks apiece or so. I view them as being possibly the next 1995 doubled die lincoln. I think collectors and the grading services are jumping the gun on these things.

that's my 2c.

Also, Greg is right about Cherrypickers. That's just what those of us that paid back in JUNE OF 2003 need, yet another item to hold things up. What a Joke.

-JamminJ

Yeah, they are minor cool. Lots of coins can be found with these minor die errors. This one just happens to look like part of the design.

They'll be much cooler if it turns out they are actual design varieties. Still not worth $1100, buta tad bit cooler.

Now if they were a "crow feeding on the corn" variety, they'd have something really going for them.

The Mint is still waffling on ideas of their origin. It'll take years before they admit that a clever press operator was also an ameature die sinker. smirk.gif

Hoot

Did anyone notice that Mel's link shows that seller has 100 of them also. How can these coins be considered for such high premiums when so few have so many? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

I hope that when I go thru my 2004 mint sets, pr sets and silver pr sets I find the variety. If not, I'm sure one will show up in circulation for me and I'll be happy with that. thumbsup2.gif

Did anyone notice that Mel's link shows that seller has 100 of them also?

Yes, but thanks David thumbsup2.gif for pointing it out again - I was simply caught up in the absurdity of it all!

Hoot, check this one out.

linky

screwy.gifgrin.gif

This is [truly] screwy. screwy.gif $200 each and no definitive grade? screwy.gif Selling the entire lot of 100 at once? screwy.gif

yeahok.gif

I'm with Cavid on this one...

Hoot

The over hyped up filled mint mark Washington was in 1989.

In all honesty, I like the quarter and would like to own all three varieties but not at $1000 a set or even $100 a set. I never got into the state quarters because I wasn't really looking at the modern stuff. These quarters did make me want to maybe start a state collection. Maybe. confused-smiley-013.gif So if whoever at the mint wanted to start some type of enthusiasm over the new quarters maybe they did. Oh and I didn't pay attention to the thread I posted because I was having a minor stroke at the $20,000 and couldn't look much further due to the room spinning and the increase pressure that started in my head. foreheadslap.gif

The latest Coin World stated that they retail for $100-200/set. And that the variety will be included in the next Redbook, which,of course creates demand. But, come on now, a thousand bucks? And how many thousands are out there?

I suggest to everyone to avoid both of the previous addresses to those "dealers". They are NOT to be trusted.

devil.gif

jom