• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

$2.5 Liberty 1900 - Grade Posted, maybe

14 posts in this topic

Stop me if you've heard this one before... My wife and her siblings inherited some coins and I, perhaps foolishly, volunteered to get things organized so they can divvy up the coins or sell the collection. My coin collecting experience totals a few months back in grade school - many, many years ago. Actually, I think it's going well so far (meaning no lawsuits from the in-laws, no divorce papers). I'm learning a lot and fear I may get sucked in if I'm not careful. I need some help with this coin. Thank you for any grade opinions and/or advice. PT

153046.jpg.97d0f9202fc3f575436f0c56b1b252ba.jpg

153048.jpg.4b8f64f7445c135999b2578591312e89.jpg

It has the look of an MS-63 coin, but the rim cut below the date is a problem. It's not that it is so bad; it's just in the wrong place. For that reason my grade would be MS-61, maybe 62.

It has been my experience that the grading on these coins is very tough and conservative. For example PCGS only gave this piece an MS-63, and I'd grade it MS-64 with no qualms.

1905250O.jpg1905250R.jpg

I don't know what the red stuff is. It might be paraffin, letter seal wax or something like that. At any rate I would advise you NOT to mess with it. If this coin were to be certified, you might ask NCS, the coin restoration service offered by NGC to look into it.

I'm not a gold guy but it looks to be an MS 63 IMO. Bill Jones knows way more than most and that rim hit by the date may hurt the grade as he indicated. It should still be about a $400 coin so getting it graded would be worthwhile.

It has a grade of 63 from NCI in 1988. I don't know what that means today, if anything. But here's where I really need your expertise: my late FIL thought this was a CAM. Was he dreaming? I wouldn't be surprised 'cause he was far from being a serious collector.

Thanks for the opinion. That's what I expected but I didn't want to downgrade the coin from thousands of dollars to hundreds on my own hook. It might make sense to get it re-graded to avoid controversy between the siblings - relationships are more important than a few dollars. Thanks again to everyone who ventured an opinion! PT

Thank you to BillJones, especially, for the detailed, specific bad news ;-). I do appreciate your pointing out the rim flaw and why it's location is so important. PT

It has a grade of 63 from NCI in 1988. I don't know what that means today, if anything. But here's where I really need your expertise: my late FIL thought this was a CAM. Was he dreaming? I wouldn't be surprised 'cause he was far from being a serious collector.

Business strike examples of that type are not even designated cameo. So it is a moot point and there is nothing unusual or special about the coin.

From the comments here and some additional reading I think I now understand what a CAM is, and why this coin is not, and never could have been a CAM. Thanks to everyone who chipped in to help a newbie learn a few of the ropes. PTinNC

Here is 1900 quarter eagle that I have owned since I was in high school, about 50 years. NGC graded this piece MS-62. As usual my photographs emphasize every flaw. This piece has a satin, not brilliant finish, which may account for the lower grade, but it shows how tough the grading is on these coins.

1900%20Quarter%20Eagle%20O_zpsnj7llvs6.jpg1900%20Quarter%20Eagle%20R_zpsi0ztyzov.jpg

This piece brings back fond memories. I bought it at a Rogers Photo, which was a camera store in Rehoboth Beach, Delaware. The owner sold coins on the side. I really enjoyed going to Rehoboth, both summer and winter.