• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

MY FIRST SET posted by Fishergirl

8 posts in this topic

• Member: Seasoned Veteran

Ikes are hard to find in good condition

Hello fellow collectors

This is my first journal entry so be patient.i have started my ike collection from raw coins . I try not to buy them already graded.. I think finding them is half the fun. it is difficult to find quality coins for this collection.. so bear with me..

16371.jpg

See more journals by Fishergirl

I also like to buy raw and get graded. You are correct that it is fun to find a coin to "make" a grade. The first ones you send in for grading might not come back exactly like you think they should but you will get better and better at grading coins yourself prior to sending them in (very important!). Good luck with your collection and hey......everyone here is pretty patient....I'm a good example! They haven't run me off yet!!!

Bud

Welcome to the boards Fishergirl! I remember when I was a YN that I bought two bicentennial silver proof sets directly from the mint! It was an exciting time for me as a coin collector before the modern age of slabbing. Seeking and finding these little metal disks to collect is the most the fun aspect of our hobby! Congratulations on your find and welcome to the boards. If you have any questions, there is a wealth of knowledge here and people anxious to share it!

Happy Collecting!

Gary

Welcome Fishergirl. I have the set and waiting to send the Eisenhower dollar in for the 1976 NO 8 S BICENTENNIAL EISENHOWER DOLLAR, PROOF 100 Greatest U.S. Modern Coins, First Edition. I have a few to send in. But short on cash.

sig.jpg

Happy Collecting

Ed

sig.jpg

sig.jpg

sig.jpg

Great find and great start fishergirl. You are entering the Wonder Zone. Coin collecting is no different than fine art, painting yourself, collecting rare cars, dishes and so on and so forth.

One word of caution, be sure of what you are buying, and don't be afraid to check prices before a purchase. Knowledge is power in this game, so do your homework.

These journals and forums are great learning centers.

I am having a ball, have made many mistakes, but don't use my butter and egg money so mistakes simply hinder you furthering your collection.

WELCOME!

Best advice: HAVE FUN!

Capt. Brian

Hello

here's my way of looking at this.

I have 1 of these sets as well, the coins are beat up and will not grade high at all.

if your going to collect proof/mint sets that's great. but if your going to build a registry set of graded coins, weather its 69 or 70 coins NGC or PCGS (only GET these 2 companies coins) you'll be wasting your money buying raw coins that are ungraded more than likely they have been sent in already and have gotten low grades and back in a proof set they go.

its a waste of money to buy raw coins

at $18 a grade + all the outrageous extra fees NGC charges, do some shopping and thinking...

hope this really helps on your quest...