• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

matte nickel question

4 posts in this topic

• Member: Seasoned Veteran

These coins are included in the sets of proof Jefferson Nickels, but they don't fit into type sets.

Are they or are they not a type of uncirculated type of coin because of how they were made? Because of the prosses of making them they should be listed the other way. They also repesent a diffrent type of Jefferson nickels so they should be listed in the type section also. CHRIS

I always think of those as Matte Proof nickels. Proof (with mirrors and deep cameo frosting) Jeffersons were also made those years. To me they belong in the proof registry set, which is where NGC has put them.

If you are collecting a type set of Jefferson nickels you might want proof, mint state, '65-'67 SMS, '94&'97 SMS and "War" types. Most people stick to either proofs or mint state coins when going for a complete type set. So it seems reasonable to me that they are not included in the registry type sets.