• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

1955-S RPM#4 BIE Progression

11 posts in this topic

Here is an animation of the BIE die break progression on 1955-S RPM#4 / Cohen BIE BA143-B650. I used RPM#4 Stages A, C, E, J, and K. RPM#4 Stage J = Cohen BIE BA143, while RPM#4 Stage K = Cohen BIE B650. The B650 is tough to find, and Cohen gave it a nickame...the "Sausage BIE". Enjoy!

55SRPM4.gif

Ray you are a true numismatic photography pioneer! :grin:

I remember seeing this (or something similar) posted by you a while back but I don't think I took the time to respond.

What I wanted to ask, are those different frames that comprise that .gif different coins that you owned in rolls or do all those numbers and such that are mentioned represent examples submitted by other individuals through CONEC or somewhere like that?

I like what you did there and was trying to do a similar .gif with a penny that I had (have) which has a ghost impression. I posted it here once and superimposed the reverse on the obverse through opacity equalization, but my attempts at making a .gif were all creating HUGE files that I felt were to large to post.

How were you able to minimize the size of the .gif?

That's really cool, but is there any way to slow down the animation?

Chris

Chris, if you have a copy of Irfanview , a very low resource intensive and flexible graphics app, then if you download Ray's .gif and then open it using Irfanview, it will be about 10x slower than it is on here.

Ray you are a true numismatic photography pioneer! :grin:

I remember seeing this (or something similar) posted by you a while back but I don't think I took the time to respond.

What I wanted to ask, are those different frames that comprise that .gif different coins that you owned in rolls or do all those numbers and such that are mentioned represent examples submitted by other individuals through CONEC or somewhere like that?

I like what you did there and was trying to do a similar .gif with a penny that I had (have) which has a ghost impression. I posted it here once and superimposed the reverse on the obverse through opacity equalization, but my attempts at making a .gif were all creating HUGE files that I felt were to large to post.

How were you able to minimize the size of the .gif?

This is the 3rd or 4th animation I've posted recently. The other BIE is also a 1955-S but not also an RPM. Here it is:

55SBIE149Plus.gif

I also animated the die break progression on 1955-S RPM#2. Here is that one:

1955SRPM2-3.gif

Almost all the coins I show were cherrypicked from BU rolls (I purchased the B650). 1955-S is a particularly good year for BU roll searching since there are so many rolls out there that they are virtually commodity items. It was the last year of the SF mint until 1968 so many rolls and bags were hoarded. Very few of the rolls I've purchased over the years have been previously searched, and if they were searched it was for high grade coins, not varieties. OBW are still readily available.

I don't make much of an effort to minimize the .gif size. Only thing I do is to downsize the source images to meet the online gif maker's max single-image requirements.

Chris

Chris, if you have a copy of Irfanview , a very low resource intensive and flexible graphics app, then if you download Ray's .gif and then open it using Irfanview, it will be about 10x slower than it is on here.

Thanks, Bill, but I'm still on Chapter 1 of Computers for Dummies.

Chris (shrug)

Chris

Slowing it down makes it look too choppy, but below you can see the individual source files for each stage:

Stage A:

A.jpg

Stage C:

C.jpg

Stage E:

E.jpg

Stage J:

J.jpg

Stage K:

K.jpg

I forgot that I actually did finish making that one I was working on into a animated .gif

Turns out it was not as large as I thought. Not as impressive as the ones you posted, but hey ... I am an amatuer. ;)

1990_D_Animated2.gif

Chris

Slowing it down makes it look too choppy, but below you can see the individual source files for each stage:

I was going to ask to see these, glad you showed them. This is a very interesting project.