• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Question regarding clashed die/cracked die struck coins

13 posts in this topic

I am rather new to collecting so I was wondering, "in general" are coins that show die clashes or cracks considered less desirable than coins that do not with respect to the overall market? If all things being equal which would you prefer? Does it impact the coin's grade during grading? Personally, I find a heighted degree of intrigue with coins showing clashes and cracks. But interested in the boards thoughts on the topic?

I am rather new to collecting so I was wondering, "in general" are coins that show die clashes or cracks considered less desirable than coins that do not with respect to the overall market? If all things being equal which would you prefer? Does it impact the coin's grade during grading? Personally, I find heighted degree of intrigue with coins showing clashes and cracks. But interested in the boards thoughts on the topic?

This is going to be a very long Thread.

I would answer:

Question #1... it depends on the coin.

Question #2...it depends on the coin.

Question #3...do you mean negatively or positively, because it depends on the coin.

Die cracks and clashes should not affect the grade of a coin.

Some (minor) cracks and clashes do affect the value of a coin depending on how many bidiots are chasing them.

Major cracks and clashes can bring nice premiums.

Chris

VAMpires (Morgan and Peace Dollar variety collectors) love clashed dies but only like cracks when they have widened into die breaks. (Not to be confused with "die brakes" on your Volkswagen.)

Coins with cracks through the central part of the design are uncommon. Most cracks occur near the periphery and are often associated with partial die collapse.

(You might find the book "From Mine to Mint" useful in understand 19th century production technology and equipment.)

I am rather new to collecting so I was wondering, "in general" are coins that show die clashes or cracks considered less desirable than coins that do not with respect to the overall market? If all things being equal which would you prefer? Does it impact the coin's grade during grading? Personally, I find a heighted degree of intrigue with coins showing clashes and cracks. But interested in the boards thoughts on the topic?

Based on my observations:

In some coin series, die clashes are very collectable and add tremendous value. In others, they can be seen as a nuisance that breaks the eye appeal of an otherwise perfect coin. Even in those cases, however, there are people who collect die clashes and would appreciate them.

I cannot think of an instance where a die crack was seen as detrimental, in contrast. All coin series develop die cracks, and most of the time, they add something, rather than detract.

As a rule, VAMpires are seeking out the clashes with letter transfers. Most other clashes are rather common and don't warrant attribution.

Die cracks on Morgan & Peace Dollars are extremely common because it takes 130+ tons of pressure to strike them.

Chris

I cannot think of an instance where a die crack was seen as detrimental, in contrast. All coin series develop die cracks, and most of the time, they add something, rather than detract.

In the vast majority of cases, you are right about die breaks, but like with most things there are exceptions. The 1797 Cohen 1 half cent (The 1 over 1 variety) is usually found in the later die states. When some of these coins were struck the die had deteriorated to the point where most of the main devices wore off the coins very quickly. Such coins are usually not as easy sold as their earlier die state counterparts. Here is an early die state example.

1797HalfCentO.jpg1797HalfCentRJPG.jpg

Also it should be noted that the denomination "HALF CENT" is very weak or unreadable on many examples of this type, dated from 1795 to 1797, because of die wear.

Strong die clashes on modern coins are very collectable. Here's a 10c clash I imaged recently that shows strong clashing on both sides. A coin like this is obviously quite different from the Cohen 1 above. Most of its value (above 10c) is from the clash.

DimeClashAnimation.gif

(You might find the book "From Mine to Mint" useful in understand 19th century production technology and equipment.)

Got the book in today can't wait to see what it has to say... Thanks

Wow, That's nice. I'll have to start digging through my 2104 dimes

If you find one, I wouldn't sell it too soon.

Chris

Wow, That's nice. I'll have to start digging through my 2104 dimes

Dig through all your dimes, clashes like that happen every year.

They happen on all the other denominations as well.

A coin like this is obviously quite different from the Cohen 1 above. Most of its value (above 10c) is from the clash.

A rule of thumb is that mint errors often enhance the value of a modern coin. On early U.S. coins, a mint error that affects the eye appeal of the piece often lowers the value, and can make the coin harder to sell.