• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Has coin collecting affected your view of society or other countries?

8 posts in this topic

Collecting Condor tokens gave me an even deeper appreciation to the English wit and sense of humor.

MJ

Not at all. I do wonder how people in the middle east "earn" their money though. Seems they are far more government subsidized that most other nations.

Otherwise, not at all.

Since Peking is actually Beijing, why isn't Peking Duck called Beijing Duck?

Chris

Because originally the culinary delight was not cooked and the duck kept peaking out from under the platter cover to see what was happening. Hence: "Peaking Duck" which was corrupted (as are many things in China) to "Peking Duck." The modern roasted duck could certainly be called "Beijing Duck" but that would apply only after one had cut through the smog of Beijing to find the duck -- and your chop sticks.

PS: No ducks were harmed in preparing the above paragraph although some will be when the ducks are roasted.

Since Peking is actually Beijing, why isn't Peking Duck called Beijing Duck?

Chris

Because originally the culinary delight was not cooked and the duck kept peaking out from under the platter cover to see what was happening. Hence: "Peaking Duck" which was corrupted (as are many things in China) to "Peking Duck." The modern roasted duck could certainly be called "Beijing Duck" but that would apply only after one had cut through the smog of Beijing to find the duck -- and your chop sticks.

PS: No ducks were harmed in preparing the above paragraph although some will be when the ducks are roasted.

Roger, I'd bet you could get some good pointers from the book, I Didn't Say Everything I Said.

Chris