• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Are our educational programs getting worse, or.............

43 posts in this topic

Third, there are a vast number of students pursuing degree programs who have no business academically being in one and also a large number of post secondary institutions with no business awarding diplomas. --- The existence of both cheapens the value of a diploma and as long as current policy continues, will continue to do so.

Yes Sir! Absolutely correct. Not far removed from awarding every child that participates in a sporting activity a trophy -- not because they excelled yet simply because they participated.

I will freely admit that there are a couple of flaws in my thesis that I will eventually properly address once I am able to maintain better focus:

1.) The politicians tend to add the caveat, "those that wish to go to college". I have to first identify and then demonstrate irrefutable evidence that their ultimate goal is for all to be college graduates to compete with many nations that leave us behind academically.

2.) I recognize and will need to eventually adress the elephant in the room. The continued influx of illegal aliens into this country to which our elected officials (regardless of party affiliation) are in no great hurry to actually address legislatively since they are keenly aware that it is necessary to have a pool of unskilled workers. An undocumented illegal immigrant willing to work for much less than his or her legal counterpart seems to be much more advantageous to their end goal.

Eventually I may just have to admit that my premise was wrong. Only time will tell.

On a side note -- I made it through the 5th grade. :grin:

In an advanced culture numismatics, philately and other collectibles hobbies with strong historical backgrounds would be integrated into core curriculums.

Interesting subject but I disagree with your premise. I don't believe that numismatics or any other hobby is remotely important enough to be included in any core curriculum. It is a "nice to know" but not remotely a "need to know". I can think of many other cultural topics that I consider a lot more important that should be, but numismatics sure isn't one of them.

+1

I like coins, but I can think of no valid reason for including it in school curriculum.

I could give you lots of reasons why numismatics could advantageously be included in school curriculums. Not from the artistic perspective but mainly from how our currency and coinage developed in the context of American commerce. I have seen many frivolous, irrelevant even laughable things taught in schools--and numismatics is somehow irrelevant to the larger culture, US history, and commerce? Get real. I'm not saying it should be a full semester course but rather integrated into other subjects that are taught. The end result of modern education in many cases is a student who may have an ability to read, write (on a high tech tablet or computer) vapidly, and use a calculator but who is usually not particularly prepared for the real world of business.

In the context you used, I don't see that it makes much of a difference. Sounds like what you have in mind is to include it as a side topic in history or a number of subjects and fields.

I agree or at least understand that there are many frivolous topics included in curriculum, though those I am aware of are more at the university level. But the inclusion of these others doesn't make it more sensible to include anything coin related. The way I would solve that issue is by getting rid of those that have no business being included, not adding another.

You didn't provide any specifics,, but I also don't see that knowing what you described is going to help anyone get prepared for the business world. What exactly do you have in mind? Maybe changes in the monetary standard over time? The payments system?

I could see something along this line making some sense but don't see this subject as being primarily numismatic at all. It is more economic.

In the context you used, I don't see that it makes much of a difference. Sounds like what you have in mind is to include it as a side topic in history or a number of subjects and fields.

I agree or at least understand that there are many frivolous topics included in curriculum, though those I am aware of are more at the university level. But the inclusion of these others doesn't make it more sensible to include anything coin related. The way I would solve that issue is by getting rid of those that have no business being included, not adding another.

You didn't provide any specifics,, but I also don't see that knowing what you described is going to help anyone get prepared for the business world. What exactly do you have in mind? Maybe changes in the monetary standard over time? The payments system?

I could see something along this line making some sense but don't see this subject as being primarily numismatic at all. It is more economic.

I distinctly remember a stamp and coin collecting Class in elementary school.

It was once a week. We were graded on the Report Card. We would also get handouts from various local stores...Penny's, Sears, etc., pushing coupons for their stamp and coin sales dept. The Class sort of tried to impress upon the kids that you are a little higher on the society tree if you were a Numismatist/Philatelist, and used examples like President Roosevelt, The Royal Family, Boys Town, and a couple of well known Cardinals at the time, and we had Albums with different Countries and we had to learn about them and find a coin and stamp example of each...at Penny's/Sears/etc., of course. I must admit I learned a lot and it led to a lifelong interest. It was a Catholic School.

Stamps and coins can easily be used in basic geography and cultural projects in schools. The difficulty is in getting enough materials for a consistent program.

Stamps and coins can easily be used in basic geography and cultural projects in schools. The difficulty is in getting enough materials for a consistent program.

Why do I feel certain that a few Mail Order companies would jump on the supply side bandwagon to assist a consistent program? I wonder if there are any around? hm

Long ago there were companies that supplied foreign coins and currency to schools for educational use. But the supply is far less than potential demand. Private schools - ones that did not have to follow a well-defined curriculum, or that could introduce pseudo-religious subjects - were more common users of stamps and coins than the much larger public schools.

Long ago there were companies that supplied foreign coins and currency to schools for educational use. But the supply is far less than potential demand. Private schools - ones that did not have to follow a well-defined curriculum, or that could introduce pseudo-religious subjects - were more common users of stamps and coins than the much larger public schools.

I think you are missing the point of hm. I should have used ;).

And, to be fair, the local public HS had a very popular coin and stamp club, and it was a punch your ticket club for listing on the College Applications. Colleges were big on nerds and slide rule pockets back then.

The last time I checked, the "Educational Coin Company" was still in business.

About ECC

I understand your point and per the example Mr Knowitall provided. In his example and what I understand from your post, it can be used to make a subject more interesting. I concur with this opinion.

The point I was making in my prior posts is that generally it still isn't necessary in that I don't see excluding it detracts from anyone's knowledge base. There are a lot of things that any of us could know. Anything I don't know about any area of numismatics I don't believe has made any difference at all outside of my participation in coin collecting. I also don't see it as any benchmark in evaluating whether someone is "educated" or not as I would with another field such as art or the writings of William Shakespeare.

In the example I gave of the monetary standard, its a very narrow topic which I don't believe hardly anyone at all associates with numismatics, even most coin collectors. I also don't believe more than a few thousand (literally) even care from the entire US population. Bill Jones' and your posting history indicates that most coin collectors aren't interested either.

The best reference book I own is "The Milled Columnarios of Central and South America" covering the pillar coinage. Most of the book is academic in the sense that it first provides a general overview of Spanish history in the centuries prior to and during this coinage period plus a chapter on each mint.

Is it interesting? To me it is both numismaticaly and historically because I collect these coins. Is it interesting to many others? No, not really because if it was, the print run would be a lot more than 500 copies which I suspect is actually far more than those who are interested in the subject.

The ANA also has a course called "Coins in the classroom" for teaching educators how to use coins for educational purposes. At one time there was also groups that provided donations of coins and supplies that teachers could use in their classrooms. In 2012 the ANA had a seminar in Houston and all the coins and supplies for the attendees were underwritten by the Houston Coin Club.

The Educational Coin Company is just a company specializing in selling bulk quantities of coins, usually foreign coins. If teachers have the money (and typically from their own pockets) it IS a good source of coins and banknotes to use in their teaching.

The US Mint also has lesson plans for teachers to use coins as teaching tools in the classroom.

..............is our hobby attracting more illiterates?

On another site that I won't mention, it seems that not only spelling, but also grammar, composition and punctuation is going to the dogs. These so-called collectors can't even express their thoughts in logical sentences. What will happen to this wonderful hobby when we no longer have intelligent instructors to teach the newcomers?

Chris

We are at that stage now.