• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Clump of Dirt Action Sequence!!!!

13 posts in this topic

I finally got rolling with starting to soak of my uncleaned ancients (AKA clumps of dirt) in olive oil. Check it out:

701307-Action1.jpg

In this photo we see all the coins in a glass tray waiting patiently for their immersion in olive oil. The darker coins are those which I tried to pre-clean in my wife's jewelery cleaner (didn't do anything). In the background is the crummiest oil I could find.

701309-Action2.jpg

Here is the oil being poured over the coins, I'm trying to cover them all evenly. Great shot of my thumb.

701311-Action3.jpg

And here we have all the coins compltely immersed in oil. There's enough oil left to change it out three more times.

701316-Action4.jpg

And here we have the lid placed on the tray to keep the dust and grime out and the oil in. I'll put it on my desk and give a shake every week or so. As the sign says I'll change the oil in a month and post an update.

-JamminJ

You realize this is worse than artificially toning coins? 893naughty-thumb.gif

TRUTH

How so? All the ancient guys say this is the way to go as the patina is preserved.

-JamminJ

Did you wash the coins first to remove the easy to get off / excess dirt?

I tried a few but very little came off. I'm going to brush them after a months soak.

-JamminJ

Pretty cool JJ. I would give the container a gentle back and forth shaking once a week or so. You might have to go as long as 2 or 3 months to get them to where you can attribute them. Patience is the key. Are you planning on listing them on ebay once you get them cleaned up and attributed? I'm curious as to how much profit you can make. I hope there aren't any Islamic coins in the bunch, but I'm almost certain there will be. I would just put them to the side and sell them as a lot. Unless though, you can find someone who knows about them. The market isn't too hot for them, and I know of no one who can attribute them.

I'm really in no rush to get them cleaned, I knew it was a year long project when getting involved. I put the tray on a shelf so I'll see it often enough to remember remember the weekly shake.

As to what I'll do with them when they're cleaned, who knows?

I'm going to try my best to attribute as many as possible, but agree the Islamic coins will be tough or impossible. I'm sure there will be at least a few to hang onto. If I luck out and find anything rare I'll almost certainly sell it.

I forgot to take a picture, but before putting them in I found one with excellent detail on both sides. It was of the same "high five" design posted in the other thread, but you could see a portrait on this one.

-JamminJ

I'm really in no rush to get them cleaned, I knew it was a year long project when getting involved. I put the tray on a shelf so I'll see it often enough to remember remember the weekly shake.

Put them in a thermos and keep them in your car trunk.

I forgot to take a picture, but before putting them in I found one with excellent detail on both sides. It was of the same "high five" design posted in the other thread, but you could see a portrait on this one.

I thought I took all those out of your piles. 893censored-thumb.gif

I thought I took all those out of your piles. 893censored-thumb.gif

This from the guy who claims not to be a coin dealer. boo.gif

I like the thermos idea, though.

-JamminJ