• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Grading GSA dollars in original holders

17 posts in this topic

I submitted several GSA dollars in there original holders at the recent FUN show. I have heard nothing from them other than a email informing me that they received my submission. I am hearing they are having a problem with the bands they wrap the holder with. Anyone have any information to add to this.

There is no telling how many rumors you will hear when you ask everyone else. Why not ask NGC?

Chris

I did "sorry for delay we are hoping to have it solved " last Friday a week ago

Some collectors have a better pipeline than others in this day and age

I have been told the straps are not working, I think glue issues. I had my FUN walkthroughs I am waiting for.

Last I heard some new straps or a rep for the straps was heading to NGC to work on a solution.

My grades are in the system but no info on shipping.

A friend gave a bunch to NGC at the Baltimore show, submitted on economy and got them by the end of the year. Longer than regular economy. I picked up a nice 85cc GSA the other day, it looks like an MS63 all day long, I don't see a good reason to get it certified and NGC is considered the best option with grading them.

NGC made a really good move by gradating the GSA dollars within the holders. That really helps preserve the relevance -- they are not just "any ole dollars" in the original cases.

NGC made a really good move by gradating the GSA dollars within the holders. That really helps preserve the relevance -- they are not just "any ole dollars" in the original cases.

Who made the decision to grade something in the OGP -- was it NGC or was it individuals requesting it of NGC?

How long have they been doing it ?

NGC's normal grading practice had to have been altered, since they are not physically in contact with the coin and are somewhat limited in examining it, no ?

Think of how many of them were busted out of the GSA holders before that.

I have seen many of the coins designated as GSAs on NGC and PCGS holders, how do they know?

They designate a coin as GSA on the holder if it is sent to them in the holder. I had a GSA that had

been cracked across the middle. I asked that it be put in a regular holder.

...for some strange reason I just got a thought pertaining to CAC with their beaning in the holders... hm

.....similar idea: let someone else do the expensive work (slabbing) and stick a label on it. Of course NGC does not buy/sell coins and CAC does.

I don't necessarily have a hard-on for modern OGP but the 1972-1980 GSA release of MSDs was historic so I understand the desire to keep that OGP and the coin in the original plastic. When the government found all those MSDs in Treasury vaults in the 1960's and began unloading them and then auctioned off the last 3 million it was part of history.

Sadly, I don't remember reading about it at the time and NOBODY in my family thought to get me 1 of them...or 2....or 10....or 50. :mad: