• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

$5 Indian gold planchet issue? *Grading Update*

12 posts in this topic

Wow! That stinks.

Is it just gold plated tungsten or some other alloy?

Now that you have it back (if you do ) did they provide you with any reasoning behind their determination? I was just curious as to whether they were willing to go that far on customer service.

Sorry to hear that. :eek:

Probably real gold, just another one of the copies that came from Arab countries in the 70s?

A good number of the counterfeit gold coins I have seen were made of gold.

I am sorry that you piece turned out to be a counterfeit. :(:mad:

One of the first places to check on the Indian quarter and half eagles is the spot on the neck shown here. If there are raised marks in that area the coin is almost certainly a counterfeit. That is one of the highest places on the incuse coin dies, and the counterfeiters often leave tool markst there.

1913HalfEagleO%20Arrow_zpslzxfcibz.jpg

Thanks. I spoke to NGC customer service and they recommended a link for various common counterfeits. She said something about not wanting to publicize reports of fakes as it may give the counterfeiters information they can use to refine their techniques, or something to that effect.

In retrospect, I should have been more leery of it, as the details do not look that sharp and it looks a little "off", but a lot of these do not look up to the grade assigned that I have examined. The $2 1/2 Indians are a much more common fake.

Gold dollars, $2.50 and $3.00 were very popular in jewelry. That likely has a lot to do with the unusual percentage of fakes seen of these three denominations. The profit margins are also higher on small coins.

Do you have a photo of the reverse? I would like to add this to my rogue's gallery of counterfeit coins. Every once and I while I present the photos to my local club to help them learn how to spot fakes.