• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1964 SP/SMS coins
1 1

125 posts in this topic

17 hours ago, RWB said:

The US Mint normally made arrangements for persons connected with a new coin, or who had a compelling interest in new coins, to purchase examples. This could be done during initial annual production (as with the Director or Sec Treasury), or at a formal ceremonial striking as with the Kennedy halves. There was, and is, nothing illegal or under-the-table about this - it is a common courtesy.  A similar situation was offered Denver Mint employees at first release of 1964-D halves - each could buy 2 new halves on the first release date. Philadelphia Mint did the same, and a bag was delivered to Treasury for a similar purpose. Smithsonian got coins from new dies in a similar manner whether direct from each mint for via the Director's office.

Roger, just out of curiosity, how does that come into play with regard to the 1964 Peace dollar?

45 minutes ago, Moxie15 said:

I know this question was not directed at me, but, I am sticking my nose in anyway.

I think I would call the coin proof-like. 

I'd call it a Proof. But either way, it's a no win situation, when making such a call. And I'm well aware of the potential slippery slope, when labeling coins "Specimen" or "Proof" when there's no official record of their production.

8 hours ago, MarkFeld said:

I'd call it a Proof. But either way, it's a no win situation, when making such a call. And I'm well aware of the potential slippery slope, when labeling coins "Specimen" or "Proof" when there's no official record of their production.

this is not an argument or disagreement... can you explain what the criteria is for a proof like designation, especially concerning Morgans

1 hour ago, Moxie15 said:

this is not an argument or disagreement... can you explain what the criteria is for a proof like designation, especially concerning Morgans

I believe that “proof-like” generally applies to reflectivity from a distance of approximately two to four inches. However, a proof-like coin isn’t produced the same way that a Proof coin is.

On 11/12/2020 at 6:56 AM, Moxie15 said:

I know this question was not directed at me, but, I am sticking my nose in anyway.

I think I would call the coin proof-like. 

And I’m pretty sure I agree. Going back to my four times struck U.K. coin, while that IS what happened, I saw it and heard it myself, there is nothing so saying in the package or documentation accompanying it.

Verifying it for a TPGS would require reaching out to Llantrisant. 

It IS a “tour coin”, that much is stated on the package, but it doesn’t say all tour coins are four times struck and not from a production press, but that’s the factual truth.  

If NGC, or those other guys in California, aren’t aware of these known facts (Are they?) then how does anybody get an SP designation? Are we then reliant on a sharp-eyed grader? Not good enough, Mark and Roger, not good enough.

Do I literally have to write a vanity published book (cheap shot) to get them recognized by the TPGS’s?

Here’s the problem, Mark and Roger. We have 1964 Kennedy halves floating around out there with SP or even SMS (yuck!) designations on them with not a scrap of either documentary or even testimonial evidence, based on a bald-faced guess only. Whereas many people who have taken the Royal Mint Experience tour, IF they selected the extra cost option, that have REAL, HONEST TO GOODNESS Specimen strikes that no TPGS to date has certified. Roger’s spot on about this - the ethics of this hobby frankly suck, when it comes to real or imagined special strike coins.  Just as in the (this side of the pond) government that makes them.

Edited by VKurtB