• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Guess on this Barber Half

7 posts in this topic

I think there's enough luster there to str8 grade but I agree, how does a coin 115 years old not have any toning? Answer, dipped. The question is.............does it look dipped or "conserved"?

I think it's got some hairlines from plastic keepers hitting the cheek that will limit to MS 63. Still, sending it for grading is a no brainer IMO.

I think they might net grade a coin like that rather than reject it entirely unless it has been hopelessly dipped. In your photo I see lots of luster so I'm encouraged. I think Grey Sheet Bid is about $1,000 for that coin in Ms 63 so spending the money to have it graded is an easy choice IMO.

The coin was graded by the Littleton Coin Company as a MS63 and came in an old plastic holder with a brief type written write-up of the series and probably offered on TV years ago. I bought it based off pictures they took, but in hand it clearly had been dipped.

The pictures I took and posted above make the coin look better than it does in hand.

I decided to return the coin rather than take a chance with TPG.

You guys are really good with your guesses.

Think I'm staring to appreciate (and look for) more toned coins than bright white.