• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Tell me about my Flying Eagle

5 posts in this topic

Just got this one. It is my first of this series. I have the usual question about the condition/grade but want to hazard a guess myself so I can be corrected. Its more something I wanted since I don't have one. I only have a couple of Jack n Coke's worth of money in it so in a way buying it might have saved me trouble lol.

My guess on the grade is a Fine 17. I have more detail left especially in the feathers and the lettering near the rim than the Fine shown but also more scratches. The ones shown for comparison is oddly smooth. IMO even with the scratches mine has more shine or luster in person and via scanner and cell pics than their pro photographed 15.

The value on their site seems high to me. Is that only for a graded coin? Coinstudy lists Goods and Fines for $23 to $32 which seems more like what I see on the most popular online auction site.

Thanks in advance for your corrections of my opinions :)

Scans

1857Cent_zps00e6bd38.png

FlyingEagle2_zpsecf7bc8d.png

Photos

1857-5_zps11708ee4.png

1857-6_zps3ac6c1a9.png

Grading Site

GradeChart_zpsf6be3cb7.png

ValueChart_zpsb78c95f6.jpg

I would say VF-20 sharpness netted to Fine-12 because of marks and uneven surfaces. It is a fairly nice example that you will probably want to upgrade one day.

I like it at VF-20, but I wouldn't pay a strong VF price for it - it just barely makes it.

Also, a comment on your grade: there is no such thing as F-17.

The grading scale uses F-12, sometimes F-15, and less commonly F-18 (although this grade is rare.)

Thanks for the experienced tips. If we have a 20 and a 12 it makes me feel decent about my assessment. I will not create grades in the middle of what pcgs or others have listed though.

Is this coin really worth $58 to $65? Is that only for professionally graded examples? They seem to go for less on line raw I guess it is called.

I'll probably keep it. It looks good to me in hand and was a relatively inexpensive way to get a coin in that series. There are many others that I have zero of. Gotta work on that and the model railroad needs to go dcc 1st lol.