• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

PCGS green label

18 posts in this topic

There's been all kinds of discussion about this. I'm not convinced either way. You'll just have to take it on a case by case basis, as I think the generalities are wanting.

Hoot

Just read a post on the forum across the street about old PCGS slabs. The poster mentioned that the older slabs were more conservativly graded than the newer ones but the gripe about the green slabs is that they"Rattle". Apparently too small for the space. Twowood. wink.gif

Rattlers are not the typically mentioned green label slabs. Rattlers do not have the soft ring surrounding the coin. Most of the undergraded coins in rattlers have been broken out for regrade. The green labels of PCGS preceeded the current blue labels. Some people claim this was a time of widespread overgrading.

Hoot

frankly

BUY THE COIN NOT THE HOLDER!!!!!!!!!!!!!

if you look at a coin weather be it a first generation pcgs holder a new pcgs holder same with ngc

i would not bother too much with the holder i would look at the coin AND THEN deside for myself just on the merits of the coin!

overall when all is said and done it is really the coin that speaks for itself

hope you pick the right ones!

and really the grade on the holder is a secondary consideration as really lutimately the price is the ultimate consideration

sincerely michael

Many folks love the green-insert PCGS slabs, and feel that the coins are undergraded. What they don't realize is that this is quite untrue for EF and AU slabs. In those days, PCGS was fairly lax about slabbing coins that have evidence of light wiping or cleaning. They'll simply net-grade the coins. If you crack them out today, hoping for an upgrade, don't be surprised when you get the coin back in a bodybag.

As usual, listen to Michael -- buy the coin!!!

EVP

Just because they are in green label holders does not mean they were graded then, I have a number of Prooflike and DMPL Morgan's that I bought in the old rattlers but shortly after they went to the standard full size slabs they use today (not the small holders with the frame around them) they had a program where you could get 10 coins reholdered for free. So I sent in 10 coins in old rattlers and they now reside in the green label holders even though they were graded in 86-87 so as was mentioned above strictly let the coin do the talking and forget the holder as it does not always tell the true story of when the coins were graded.

The green labels I think we are talking about here are in holders that are very similar to the current PCGS holders, NOT the old, small, rattlers which I hate.

It's been my experience that the coins in green holders are GENERALLY more conservatively graded than the blue label holders. BUT please NOTE the word GENERALLY.

I agree with the other posts, buy the coin, not the holder. Just because it's in a green holder does not mean it's conservatively graded or a good buy. It's just a generality that I have noted.

Which "green" label? There were two different series of "green" label holders and they covered a time span of almost nine years. That is much too long a period to state that "these were graded tighter/looser than now. Grading standards are in a constant state of minor flux that over a longer period of time may drift significantly from the initial standard.

It's this type of Green label, Condor. There are no gurantees, but as I review my collection and see coins in the market place it's been my observation that the coins were more conservatively graded.

Of course of late PCGS may be making blue labels with bar codes on the front more desiriable.

118174-temp.JPG.ccc6ccc33c5ad866faea8486714e512e.JPG

So Bill what your saying is, that your 2@half dollar gold....nice coin by the way...is under graded!

I've got a fairly common 36-P wash. qtr. in the exact same holder (ms-65)and IMO it look's under graded well struck w/ cartwheel lustre.

I don't know what bluesheet prices it, but in trends it would be worth cracking out...but i like the older hologram on the back.

Rob

I just had her $10 sister slabbed which is not quite as nice, and she got an AU-55. It willl be interesting to see what their $5 sister gets. She's probably a little better than the $2.50.

From what I see at the major shows, all of these coins are way above average IMO. I've seen whole lot of the early gold coins that are AUs that have had their original skins stripped. I don't who thinks that is an imporvement, but it seems to rate MS-61s and 62s from the services. So far I'm concerned those coins are "damaged." Getting original coins just keeps getting harder and harder, it's a shame that the coin doctors are getting rewarded for screwing up stuff.

A couple of days ago I sent in my $3 gold, which I have owned for over 20 years. The dealers' comment was, "Humm an AU with the original skin. If it were stripped it could be an Unc."

I told him I'd leave it alone. This coin doctoring stuff stinks.

A couple of days ago I sent in my $3 gold, which I have owned for over 20 years. The dealers' comment was, "Humm an AU with the original skin. If it were stripped it could be an Unc."

Perhaps the dealer meant well, but that comment is simply nauseating to me. frown.gif

EVP

The dealer met very well. He's my friend and he's a good honest guy. He's just taking an honest look at what it's like to deal with this market.

I've heard stories that the grading services are run like assembly lines. Unlike collectors and dealers who scrutinize coins for several minutes often with 10X glasses, the services have their graders do it five or ten seconds with no glass. If that's true it's no wonder that the grading is all over the place.

Very interesting comment by the dealer Bill Jones talked to. Is this really part of the grading problem that has so many collectors baffled. Basically two coins exactly the same, one messed with and one original and the messed with coin gets the grade. Hmmm.

So the coin goes from a original AU coin to a MS coin just because it is Messed with and now shows more Flash, and I am not saying Flash in a Eye Appeal way either.

I have had the contention for some time that most original coins lose a point just because the "Flash" is usually not there. Man I love those 64 coins lacking flash.

Forgot the original question. Mixed Reviews on the Green Label Slabs, both types, and the Rattlers also. Have had some nice ones and some real dogs in all. One thing I will say is that it seems there are more Original looking coins in the Rattlers and the Green Labels than the Blue Label Series.

Ken

Here's a story you might find interesting.

A couple of years ago a collector - dealer I know had a 1796 No Stars Quarter Eagle in NGC AU-50. It was a wonderful coin. It was very clean with few marks, had great eye appeal and it was totally original. The asking price to me as another dealer was $85,000. I sincerely wished that I could have bought that coin. I had seen pieces graded MS @ $250,000 that I did not like as well. But I'm a middle class guy and a small dealer. There was just no way.

A year later the same dealer had a 1796 No Stars Quarter Eagle in a PCGS AU-58 holder. I did not like this one as well because it had been cleaned, which had added some fakey luster. The coin lacked character. I got the coin on consignment to show to a customer because it was a fair value.

I had a suspicion that this was the same coin, and when I got home and compared it to a photo I had taken a year later I found out that I was right. During the year this coin had been cracked, cleaned and ungraded to AU-58.

So far as I'm concerned who ever fooled with it downgraded it, but it did not matter. The coin later sold in its new slab without its original skin (although not by me).

The lesson I guess is original and subtle does not sell. Cleaned and shiny not only rates 8 more points from the "better" grading service, it also gets the coin sold.

I've attached a picture of how the coin looked when I first saw it.

589a8ab87158f_118654-Small1796250O.JPG.f246b63948b31537daf036ff45e73382.JPG