• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

I REALLY like this from PCGS

35 posts in this topic

If I were PCGS I would be more concerned with copying the trade dress of the Whitman blue and Dansco brown albums they are virtually recreating.

If I were an attorney for either company I would have already filed suit and worked out a licensing fee for each Registry Album created by users. This little PCGS invention will obviously impact sales of their albums.

I wouldn't think the virtual album would cause any negative financial impact on sellers of physical albums. How many collectors actually crack their slabbed coins and place them in a physical album? Not many at all I would think. In fact, I would suggest that the virtual albums might introduce collectors to the physical album concept.

If I were PCGS I would be more concerned with copying the trade dress of the Whitman blue and Dansco brown albums they are virtually recreating.

If I were an attorney for either company I would have already filed suit and worked out a licensing fee for each Registry Album created by users. This little PCGS invention will obviously impact sales of their albums.

I wouldn't think the virtual album would cause any negative financial impact on sellers of physical albums. How many collectors actually crack their slabbed coins and place them in a physical album? Not many at all I would think. In fact, I would suggest that the virtual albums might introduce collectors to the physical album concept.

I think you'd be surprised. There are a LOT of collectors who crack out coins to put in albums.

I think you'd be surprised. There are a LOT of collectors who crack out coins to put in albums.

I was looking at Air-Tite Albums yesterday after seeing this :headbang:

+1

The design PCGS picked is definitely interesting. Probably they have a licensing deal already. When we were building CollectiveCoin , we considered adding virtual album dress, but in the end thought it looked too kitschy. It does bring some nostalgia value though.

If anyone is looking for a registry-like option for displaying a collection, but has been stymied by coins in multiple company's slabs and/or raw, we'd be happy to host.

Being able to display a high quality album online (registry or not) while the coins themselves are safely locked away should definitely be a boost for the hobby.

Matt (scubafuel)