• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

1878-CC Dime Shattered Reverse?

5 posts in this topic

I recently bought this 1878-CC Seated Liberty dime. I am looking at the shattered reverse and I don't notice any die cracks on the reverse of my coin, but there is the die scratch that NGC points out that is on the 78-CC shattered reverse( NGC )

Could it be a very early die state of when the die shattered? Maybe that's why the left side is so weak?

What do you think? IMG_8062_zpsweflo8m9.jpgIMG_8060_zpsvg13c9cw.jpgIMG_8059_zpslyzcfey4.jpgdie%20scratch_zps45tsgawa.jpg

I think the left side is weak because its a well worn coin, and that's what happens to well worn coins.

I don't know much about the shattered reverse, but I'm not seeing any shattering in your pictures.

Right, which is what I said above.

But according to the NGC site that I linked to above, the die scratches are on the 1878-CC that has the shattered reverse, which my coin has. That's why I'm trying to figure out if this was just a early coin from those dies and if it would be considered a 1878-CC Shattered reverse.