• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

US Mint planning to ruin 100th anniversary classic coin commemorative in 2016

13 posts in this topic

I would love to have a DCAM/UCAM Liberty Walking Half Dollar and Mercury Dime. Too bad that there are none of these for the real series and even cameos are scarce (except perhaps for the 1939 dime) to outright rare (WLH). Maybe I'm just weird... :blush:

I'd pick up a set if they're produced in mint state or matte proof. I don't want ultra cameo. Otherwise I think the designs are beautiful (as long as they're not updated) and having nice strong strikes, in gold, would look great.

Matte proof coins would be neat too... I wish the pieces were to be struck in their native metals though.

Love the old designs, not a big fan of the gold.

Here's what I would do, if I were pope o' da mint:

Make reproductions of the classic 1916 designs, and for completeness do a Peace dollar design as well.

But make them in palladium -- 1 oz Peace, 1/2 oz Walker, 1/4 oz Stander, 1/10 oz Mercury. That should match the original coins' sizes fairly well.

It'd be really pretty.

Could be a new bullion series, or just a one year commemorative.

I would love to have a DCAM/UCAM Liberty Walking Half Dollar and Mercury Dime. Too bad that there are none of these for the real series and even cameos are scarce (except perhaps for the 1939 dime) to outright rare (WLH). Maybe I'm just weird... :blush:

I think the ASE re-purposing of the WLH obverse design is enough to prove to me that a DCAM/UCAM example of that design cannot be tastefully executed using the current US Mint mentality and methods.

A Merc would be interesting, but I think the design will look silly if enlarged to a commemorative size -- sort of like how the Buff Nickel design looks goofy as heck (IMO) on the larger Gold and Silver issues.