• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Conserving a gold coin ?

2 posts in this topic

I recently purchased a classic head $2 1/2 gold coin with MS or very near details. The coin was stored in an old box that had been either stained or painted a maroon color. The coin displays some small specks of this color adhering to it`s surface. My question is, if I send this coin in to NCS to be conserved and it is. will NGC grade and certify the coin in an NGC holder ? Or , does the coin have to be net graded in an NCS holder. The amount of conservation required will be very minimal. I will attach a photo so that my description can be better interpreted.

Thank you,

Sincerely,

Reid1836

698597-2doll1.jpg.a585d2b837a6740a525463c83b90a498.jpg

Images can be deceptive when trying to give opinions as to the conservation of coins. I can, however, give you some thoughts based on your image. The paint can very likely be removed. We have had success removing paint far more invasive than what appears to be on your coin. Doing this work will not make your coin "no grade." If your coin were to "no grade" after we had removed the flecks of paint, this would be for an altogether different problem.

Chris, NCS